This is a job posting from company – Weber State University
Employment Type – Full Time
Work Hours: 8
Salary: $20 To $30/An Hour
Location: Utah, USA
This job is 100% remote.
To apply to this jobs please enter below information:
Position Title Youth Futures Shelter Home-Youth Engagement Specialist
Requisition Number H00226P
Position Category Hourly/Work Study
Campus Location Weber State University – Ogden, UT
Hours per week 20 hours
Months per year
Alternate work schedule
Hourly Pay Rate $18.00
Job Summary/Basic Function
Youth Engagement Specialist reports directly to the Program Manager or Shelter Supervisor. This
position provides direct supervision and assistance to a maximum of 10 homeless youth in the shelter
home, individually aged between 12 and 18 years old. The position requires the documentation of
resident behaviors and actions using the computer or documentation forms. YES staff is also responsible
for maintaining the cleanliness of the shelter environment. This position requires 12-12.5 hour shifts up
to 3 scheduled shifts a week and the flexibility to adjust hours in order to provide coverage on the unit
in the absence of other staff as needed. Weekend and holiday hours included.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include but are not limited to:
1. Provide constant supervision of resident and drop-in youth at all times, assist with morning
and bedtime routines, homework, and basic needs, and facilitate group activities and life
2. Perform security checks in and outside of the building to adequately maintain supervision of
the house, enforce house rules and ensure house safety
3. Assist with managing conflict between residents; de-escalate and help residents reach
compromise, and provide crisis intervention as needed.
4. Perform janitorial duties such as sweep, mop, vacuum, dust, taking-out trash, restock
supplies, etc. Advise Program Manager of building maintenance needs
5. Plan and prepare nutritious meals
6. Intake new clients by using trauma-informed interview skills and meticulous and detailed
note-taking and paperwork completion
7. Monitoring and reporting healthcare needs or concerns, and ensuring compliance with daily
medication regimen through support, encouragement, and self-care education
8. Ability to safely and efficiently carry out various emergency procedures in the case of fire,
illness, accident, drug overdose, self-harm, or other unusual incident. Administer CPR/ first
aid if necessary, coordinate with medical or emergency personnel, and complete required
documentation including unusual incidents forms in compliance with agency policy
9. Complete paperwork, data entry, and documentation as directed
10. Process new donations and organize and maintain accurate inventory and donor
information for shelter donations and supplies
11. Participate in regular supervision, training, and staff meetings
12. Keep all required clearances and certifications up to date
13. Other duties as assigned
Location: 2760 Adams Avenue, Ogden, Utah 84403
Youth Futures is open 24 hours a day. Work is done in shifts. Day shift: 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM, Swing shift: 2:00 PM to 10:30 PM, Grave shift 10:00 PM to 6:30 AM. Work Study students are limited to work 20 hours per week, 40 hours per pay period.
Must be Federal Work Study eligible and have Work Study Certification Card from the Financial Aid Office before applying.
If you are unsure if you are eligible for the Federal Work Study program, contact the Financial Aid office at 801-626-7569.
**This is a pooled position. Applicants are selected from the pool as positions become available. After a period of time, the pool will expire and applicants will be notified.
-Pass a BCI Background check done by Organization.
1. Must be a creative, energetic, problem-solver, with a passion for working with young people
2. Must be 21 years old or over
3. High School diploma or GED required
4. Bachelor’s degree and/or 3-5 years of experience working with youth preferred
5. Previous contact or experience with persons experiencing homelessness and youth are
6. Intermediate to advanced computer skills required
7. Must possess a valid Driver’s License, clean driving record and must be able to transport
staff and/or clients, as needed
8. No evidence of criminal activity involving a dependent population or any violent criminal
activity. A clear background check is required.
9. Certification in CPR, First Aid and Food Handlers or ability to obtain.
10. Ability to perform a range of physical motions (walking, kneeling, navigating stairs, lifting
and carrying up to 50 pounds) for long periods of time
11. Ability to read and write legibly, and understand written directives and policies.
12. Ability to communicate with staff, residents and their family and community organizations.
13. Spanish speaking is a plus.
1. Excellent problem solving skills
2. Ability to work in a fast-paced and unpredictable environment
3. Ability to handle disruptive behaviors in a calm, professional manner and utilize behavior
management techniques including the company’s hands-off de-escalation behavior
management procedure with residents
4. An understanding of Trauma Informed Care, Harm Reduction, and De-escalation
5. Take responsibility for ones actions, job performance, team dynamics, and client
interactions. Recognize own strengths and weaknesses to identify individual development
and career plans
6. Proactively seek out additional tasks and responsibilities to complete
7. Excellent team-building and communication skills, ability to collaborate well with others
8. Excellent public speaking skills
9. Ability to manage stress with appropriate self-care
10. High standards of ethics and accountability
11. Understanding of and adherence to appropriate work-place and client boundaries
12. Ability to make a long term commitment to our organization (preferably 2 years minimum)
Background Check? Yes
Weber State University is an EOE/Minorities/Female/Vet/Disability employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Posting Detail Information
Job Open Date 08/09/2022
Review Date 08/11/2022
Job Close Date 08/09/2023
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Notes to Applicant
To apply, complete the online application, attach a resume, the contact information for three references, and a cover letter.
If you are hired, please keep in mind that you will need to complete the appropriate Payroll and HR documents prior to beginning work.
**This is a pooled position. Applicants are selected from the pool as positions become available. After a period of time, the pool will expire and applicants will be notified
The screening of applicants will begin immediately.
Due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), individuals who have worked in a salaried capacity for Weber State University are ineligible to be hired as an hourly or adjunct employee at Weber State for six months.
ADA Essential Job Function
ADA Essential Job Function
Physical Activity of this position Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires full motion of the lower extremities and back muscles. , Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction., Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time. , Moving about to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another., Operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect, or position. , Expressing or exchanging ideas. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important instructions to other workers accurately or quickly. , Ability to receive detailed information with or without assistance.
Physical Requirements of this position Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual Acuity Requirements including color, depth perception and field of vision. Required to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; using a computer terminal; extensive reading.
The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position. None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).