In 2020, remote work has become the new normal due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Companies that were previously reluctant to embrace remote work are now forced to do so to keep their employees safe. This sudden shift has demonstrated that remote work is not only viable but can also be a successful business model. As such, many companies have made the decision to become fully remote or shift to a hybrid work model, where employees split their time between the office and home. With the demand for remote work increasing, it’s essential to identify the top remote companies that have excelled in creating a positive remote work environment. These companies serve as a model for others, demonstrating the benefits of remote work with a strong emphasis on company culture, employee well-being, and productivity. In this article, we’ll explore the top remote companies of 2020 based on their benefits, culture, and values, and how these companies have successfully adapted to the remote work model.
Buffer is a leading remote company that has been providing remote work opportunities for its employees for several years. Along with their transparency and supportive company culture, employees enjoy a range of benefits like remote work stipends, unlimited vacation time, and health insurance. Buffer is also a champion of mental health and offers their employees free subscriptions to therapy apps. Some of the key features of Buffer as a remote company are:
- Transparent and supportive company culture
- Remote work stipends for home office set-up and coworking spaces
- Unlimited vacation time
- Health insurance coverage
- Champion of mental health and offers employee subscriptions to therapy apps
Buffer’s emphasis on providing benefits and support for remote employees has made them one of the top remote companies for 2020.
What are the benefits of remote working?
|Flexibility||Workers can design their own schedules, work from anywhere with an internet connection and spend more time with family|
|Cost savings||Employers can save money on office space, utilities and supplies, while workers save on commuting expenses and lunches out|
|Increased productivity||Employees can work during their most productive hours, have fewer distractions and save time on commuting|
|Better work-life balance||Workers can better balance their home and work responsibilities, and avoid burnout and stress|
Some websites and products that allow remote work are Remote.co, FlexJobs and Zoom.
GitLab is one of the top remote companies of 2020, with a strong focus on its values and culture. They have a unique approach to remote work, with all employees working from home and meetings conducted over video-conferencing tools. Here are some of the key features of GitLab’s approach to remote work:
- Committed to remote work, with all employees working from home
- Meetings conducted over video-conferencing tools
- 12 values that guide company culture, including collaboration, iteration, and results (see Table 1)
- Employee benefits like a $200 monthly stipend for internet and other necessities, a $10,000 bonus for new parents, and unlimited time off
|Collaboration||Working together towards a common goal|
|Results||Focus on outcomes and results, not just effort|
|Efficiency||Streamlining processes to maximize productivity|
|Diversity, inclusion, and belonging||Celebrating differences and creating a sense of belonging|
|Iteration||Continuously improving and learning from mistakes|
|Candor||Being honest and transparent, even when it’s difficult|
|Autonomy||Empowering employees to make decisions and take ownership of their work|
|Trust||Believing in the competence and integrity of others|
|Challenge||Pushing boundaries and taking on difficult tasks|
|Transparency||Being open and honest about decision-making processes and outcomes|
|Communication||Regular and effective communication, both written and verbal|
|Community||Engaging with the broader community and contributing to open source software|
GitLab’s unique approach to remote work and strong values-driven culture has made them a top remote company to watch in 2020.
Is GitLab a fully remote company?
Yes, GitLab is a fully remote company since its inception in 2011. They have over 1,200 employees, located in more than 65 countries, that work remotely. Here are some quick facts about GitLab:
- They offer a software application for the entire DevOps lifecycle called GitLab.
- GitLab is an open-core product, which means it has both a free and a paid version.
- Their remote work philosophy is documented in the GitLab Remote Manifesto, publicly available on their website.
Another leading remote company of 2020 is Zapier, known for their focus on work-life balance and results-driven approach. Zapier is committed to helping its employees work smarter, not harder, and offers a variety of benefits to support that commitment. Here are some of the key features of Zapier’s approach to remote work:
- Emphasis on work-life balance with flex schedules and unlimited vacation days
- Results-driven culture, with a focus on autonomy and accountability
- Remote hiring process designed to find candidates who thrive in a remote work environment
- Benefits like health insurance, a 401(k) plan, and a $5,000 signing bonus for new hires
Zapier’s unique approach to remote work and results-driven culture has made them a top choice for remote job seekers in 2020. Their focus on work-life balance and autonomy makes them an attractive employer for those looking to work remotely.
Is Zapier a remote company?
Yes, Zapier is a fully remote company, with employees working from various locations around the world. Here are some quick facts about Zapier:
- Founded in 2011
- Headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, USA
- Over 500 employees, spread across 28 countries
- Offers a web-based app automation platform that connects over 3,000 apps
Zapier prides itself on being a remote-first company, which means that remote work is not just an added benefit, but a fundamental component of their work culture. They have a well-established system in place that prioritizes collaboration, communication, and productivity among remote teams.
|Pros of working at Zapier:||Cons of working at Zapier:|
|Flexible work schedule||No in-person meetings/retreats|
|Opportunities for professional growth||May require self-discipline|
|Supportive work culture||Less face-to-face interaction with colleagues|
If you’re interested in exploring remote work opportunities, Zapier is definitely worth considering.
Doist is another top remote company of 2020, known for their focus on employee well-being and flexibility. At Doist, employees have a variety of benefits and resources at their disposal to help support their work and their personal lives. Here are some of the key features of Doist’s remote work culture:
- Autonomy and trust, with a focus on empowering employees to do their best work
- Benefits like unlimited vacation time, a mental health allowance, and paid parental leave
- Sabbatical program to encourage employees to take extended time off to recharge and invest in personal projects
- Virtual team-building events and a focus on developing a strong sense of community among remote team members
Doist‘s focus on prioritizing employee well-being and providing ample time and resources to invest in personal growth has made them a top choice for remote job seekers in 2020. Their benefits package and focus on developing a strong remote culture make them an attractive employer for those looking for flexibility and support in their remote work experience. Doist’s website provides more information about the company and their values.
What does Doist do?
Doist is a software company that specializes in creating productivity tools that help individuals and teams stay organized, focused, and productive. Their flagship products include:
- Todoist: A task management app that allows users to track and prioritize tasks across different projects and platforms.
- Twist: A communication app designed for remote teams to help them stay connected and collaborate effectively.
Doist’s products are designed with simplicity and usability in mind, helping users easily manage their workload and get more done. With over 25 million users worldwide, Doist has established itself as a leading provider of productivity software.
Top Remote Companies 2020
Automattic, the company behind WordPress, has been a remote company since their founding in 2005. They have established themselves as a leader in the remote work space, with a focus on creating a supportive and diverse work environment for their employees. Here are some of the key features of Automattic’s remote work culture:
- A fully remote workforce, with over 1,000 employees in 75 countries
- A focus on diversity and inclusion, with a range of diversity and inclusion initiatives and affinity groups
- An open and transparent company culture, with regular “Ask Me Anything” sessions with the CEO and other executives
- An extensive benefits package, including home office stipends, sabbaticals, and parental leave
- A mission-driven company culture, focused on using technology to make the web a more accessible and democratic place
Automattic’s commitment to creating a supportive and inclusive remote work environment has made them an attractive employer for those looking for flexibility and a strong sense of community in their work. Additionally, their focus on using technology to make the web more accessible and democratic aligns with the values of many remote workers and companies in 2020.
In conclusion, the top remote companies of 2020 have set a high standard for what it means to create a positive remote work culture. From providing flexible schedules and unlimited vacation time to supporting employee well-being and prioritizing diversity and inclusion, these companies demonstrate that remote work can be a truly rewarding experience. As more and more companies embrace remote work, it’s important to look to these leading companies for inspiration and best practices. With their focus on culture, community, and innovation, the top remote companies of 2020 are paving the way for a more flexible and equitable future of work.