This is a job posting from company – Duke Energy
Employment Type – Full Time
Work Hours: 8
Salary: $20 To $30/An Hour
Location: North Carolina, USA
This job is 100% remote.
To apply to this jobs please enter below information:
More than a career – a chance to make a difference in people’s lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you’ll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
– Starting Hourly Rate: $21.41
– Residency Requirement: Selected candidate must live no more than 30 minutes from Winston Salem, NC Resource Center or High Point, NC
This position is responsible for all duties associated with and related to the safe, efficient and cost-effective installation and maintenance of natural gas facilities and appurtenances on both transmission and distribution natural gas systems per 49CFR Part 192, Piedmont Natural Gas policies and procedures and local/state regulations.
The Service Technician I is the entry level position for the Service Technician Progression. The Service Technician I has accountability for timely completion of established skills development assignments in each wage step in accord with established guidelines. Each skills development assignment is designed to further prepare the Service Technician I to work safely and independently on service department responsibilities and to meet the mandatory requirement for advancement to Service Technician II. Skills development assignments include, but are not limited to, successful completion of compulsory training, testing and certifications; attainment of required Operator Qualifications; and demonstration of proficiency in performance of job duties associated with regulated and non-regulated service work. Job posting selection is required for entry to the Service Technician I role.
The following list is not intended to be all inclusive of duties and responsibilities as needed to learn, assist and independently perform regulated and non-regulated service work.
- Perform work assignments on customer’s premises; Interact with customers in a professional, respectful and courteous manner to promote good customer relations; answer customer-related inquiries regarding established Company policies and procedures and provide explanation of work performed
- Utilize and become proficient in technology devices such as computer, smart phone, etc. for work assignments and to accurately record required information
- Utilize tools such as maps and GPS to locate work assignments; Drive a company vehicle; Fleet assignments vary by location and generally include requirement to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) medical card within 6 months of entering the position. Maintain the CDL medical card on a consistent basis thereafter.
- Identify, obtain and deliver materials needed for work assignments
- Inspect and protect (paint) above ground appurtenances for atmospheric corrosion
- Read meters
- Install and program encoder receiver transmitters (ERTs)
- Hang door tags
- Work tenant changes, including soft close
- Turn off and/or remove meter due to non-payment from customer (DNP)
- Identify unauthorized use of gas and remove meter as required
- Install residential and small commercial meters (up to Group III)
- Complete turn on of customer meter, including dial test, lighting pilots and testing appliances/ equipment including but not limited to appliances in crawl spaces and attics
- Act as a first responder on emergency orders
- Repair cut service lines consisting of 3/4” and 5/8” plastic pipe
- Complete 3rd party damage investigations to include proper documentation
- Investigation of carbon monoxide, gas leak complaints; grade leaks
- Check for odorant using sniff test
- Investigate high bill complaints
- Provide and perform non-jurisdictional services
- Perform and complete estimates
- Perform disconnect and reconnects of appliances
- Install, troubleshoot and repair appliances and piping
- Perform Home Warranty repairs
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or GED
- Experience using construction tools
- Experience applying basic mechanical concepts and mechanical aptitude
- Experience utilizing personal computers (PCs) in a Windows environment
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and, per local Fleet availability, have ability to obtain CDL medical card within 6 months of entering the position
- Safety awareness and leadership
- Demonstrated effective communication (verbal and written), interpersonal skills and customer orientation
- Experience working independently to serve customers in a related environment
- Two years technical school education or the equivalent job-related knowledge
- Previous work experience with plumbing, electrical, heating and HVAC installation/maintenance, up to and including a license
- Working knowledge of gas appliances
- Experience with troubleshooting, problem solving and diagnostics of mechanical and/or electrical equipment
- 2-3 years or natural gas industry experience
Must work outdoors in adverse weather conditions; lifting up to 75 lbs.; frequent walking, reaching, pushing, pulling, bending, squatting, stooping, crawling, standing, digging, climbing; works on uneven terrain, many times with heavy vegetation; manual dexterity (hand/eye coordination); keen eyesight; good hearing; good sense of smell; comes in frequent contact with insects and animals; ability to use breathing apparatus when responding to gas leaks.
Weekend and evening work as required. Subject to overtime, rotating shifts and must be available for call-out and emergency response. Employees in this classification are required to advance to Service Technician II. Individual Operations Centers may have specific qualifications set forth by local agencies which must be obtained prior to advancement.
Travel Requirements 5-15%
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable) No
Represented/Union Position IBE Local 1902
Visa Sponsored Position No
Posting Expiration Date Tuesday, November 15, 2022
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.