The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a significant shift in how people work. Companies worldwide are increasingly embracing remote work, and more people are starting to work from home (WFH). Online WFH jobs have become a popular alternative to the traditional 9-to-5 office-based work. With a stable internet connection and adequate tools, anyone can work remotely, regardless of the industry or job function. In addition to flexibility and convenience, working from home also offers a range of other benefits, such as no need to commute, reduced stress levels, and a better work-life balance. However, finding a legitimate online WFH job can be challenging, especially for beginners. This article will provide a comprehensive guide to online WFH jobs, including the most popular types, required skills, and tips for job search, to help those interested in working remotely land a permanent role.
2. Types of Online WFH Jobs
Online WFH jobs come in various forms, and most of them require a stable internet connection and a computer. The following are the most commonly found online WFH jobs:
- Freelance writing: involves writing articles and other content for clients in various industries.
- Virtual assistants: provide administrative support to individuals or businesses virtually.
- Customer service: handles customer needs and inquiries through phone, chat, or email.
- Online tutoring: involves teaching and mentoring students online, usually via video calls and other online platforms.
- Social media management: involves optimizing and managing client’s social media accounts for increased brand awareness and engagement.
- Graphic designing: involves creating visual content, such as logos, brochures, ads, and other promotional material.
- Web development: designing and maintaining web pages to ensure they are functioning optimally and are visually pleasing.
- Online marketing: reaches out to customers through advertising and other forms of digital marketing techniques to drive sales.
Some websites that offer online WFH jobs include Upwork, Fiverr, Freelancer, and Guru.
What are real websites for work from home?
Here are some legitimate websites for finding work from home opportunities:
These websites offer a variety of job opportunities, such as freelance work, remote positions, and part-time jobs. It’s important to do your research and read reviews before accepting any job offers or paying for any services. Always be cautious of scams and protect your personal information.
3. The skills required for online WFH jobs
To be successful in online WFH jobs, you need a set of skills that enable you to work independently and effectively in a virtual work environment. Below are some of the necessary skills required for online WFH jobs:
- Good communication skills: Clear and concise communication is crucial when working online, as most communication is done through emails, video calls, chats, or other virtual communication tools.
- Time management: Ability to manage time effectively to meet project deadlines and complete daily tasks before scheduled time.
- Adaptability: Online WFH job requires you to learn and adjust quickly to new technology, work styles, and routines.
- Tech-savviness: Online WFH jobs require knowledge of technology tools needed to complete a task effectively.
- Self-motivation: You must be motivated enough to complete projects on time, even when there is no direct supervision.
- Problem-solving: To work well in online WFH jobs, you need to be a problem solver and be able to work around obstacles that may arise during the project.
Different online WFH jobs require specific sets of skills. For instance, web development requires programming skills, while social media management jobs require digital marketing skills. According to a study by FlexJobs, there has been an 83% increase in remote work between 2005 and 2017. The same study found that online WFH jobs are among the top work from home jobs.
Below is a table outlining different online WFH jobs and their required skills:
|Online WFH Jobs||Skills Required|
|Freelance Writing||Good writing & communication skills, research, SEO, time management|
|Virtual Assistants||Strong organizational skills, tech-savviness, scheduling, project management, excellent communication skills|
|Customer Service||Good communication skills, sales, confident problem-solving, empathy|
|Online Tutoring||Teaching, student relationship management, engaging content creation, patience, excellent communication skills, presentation skills|
What are the technical skills required for online work?
|Computer Literacy||An ability to use computer programs, type efficiently, and perform tasks on a computer.|
|Internet and Email||Ability to communicate via email and message boards, as well as ability to navigate the web efficiently.|
|Basic Understanding of SEO||Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of increasing the quantity and quality of visitors to a website from search engines. One must have an understanding of SEO in order to create effective online content.|
|Content Management System (CMS)||Ability to use web-based Content Management Systems, such as WordPress and Joomla, to create and edit website content.|
In addition to technical skills, online work may also require strong communication and time management skills. Familiarity with specific websites or products may also be necessary depending on the job.
4. Tips on landing online WFH jobs
With the increasing popularity of remote work, the competition for online WFH jobs is getting fierce. Below are some tips on how to increase your chances of landing an online WFH job:
- Build an attractive online profile: Set up a professional online profile on job sites like FlexJobs, Upwork, and LinkedIn.
- Network: Reach out to your network on LinkedIn and other job search websites.
- Highlight your skills: Emphasize your skills and experience in your resume and cover letter.
- Target your search: Target your job search to a specific industry or job position that you are interested in.
- Stay organized: Keep track of the jobs you have applied for, your follow-ups, and your interviews.
- Apply to multiple jobs: Apply to multiple jobs related to your skill set, as it may take time to get hired.
There are many online platforms for finding work-from-home jobs. FlexJobs is one of the most notable platforms that connect job seekers with remote positions. It has a database of job openings in more than 50 career categories, including web development, marketing, customer service, and healthcare. Users can create custom searches based on their preferences, set up email alerts for new and relevant job postings, and access online courses and webinars. Additionally, some companies that frequently offer work from home jobs include Amazon, Dell, and Salesforce.
How do I get noticed when working remotely?
- Communicate frequently with your team and managers through email, messaging apps, and video conferencing.
- Show your worth through your work. Deliver high-quality outputs on time and with attention to detail.
- Take initiative to improve processes or suggest new ideas to show that you are invested in the company’s success.
- Be responsive and available during working hours. Keep your team updated on your availability and responsive timeframes.
- Participate in team-building activities remotely to establish relationships and build trust with teammates.
If you’re working with a team remotely, consider using project management tools like Asana or Trello to track work progress and keep everyone on the same page. Additionally, if you’re looking for a remote job, consider using job search websites like Remote.co or FlexJobs to find remote opportunities.
In conclusion, the rise of remote work has resulted in a significant increase in the number of online WFH jobs. These jobs offer several benefits, including cost savings, flexibility, and the ability to work from anywhere globally. With the right skills, mindset, and attitude, anyone can secure an online WFH job and achieve their career goals.
To land an online WFH job, job seekers must build an attractive online profile, network, highlight their skills, target their search, stay organized, and apply to multiple jobs. Platforms such as FlexJobs and companies like Amazon, Dell, and Salesforce offer job seekers opportunities to work remotely.
As remote work continues to grow in popularity, individuals who seek online WFH jobs must adapt to this changing work environment. With the right set of skills and motivation, working from home can be fulfilling and successful.