This is a job posting from company – Bettendorf City Hall
Employment Type – Full Time
Work Hours: 8
Salary: $20 To $30/An Hour
Location: 50001, Bettendorf
This job is 100% remote.
To apply to this jobs please enter below information:
Performs uniformed or plainclothes duties as assigned. Enforces all city and state laws and regulations. Responds to all police dispatches. Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations. Interviews witnesses, interrogates suspect, arrests and processes suspected criminals. Directs traffic, issues citations, serves warrants and subpoenas, and appears in court when required.
- Performs uniformed or plainclothes duties as assigned by the department’s command structure.
- Enforces city and state laws and motor vehicle regulations.
- Responds to radio and telephone dispatches concerning crimes, civil and domestic disorders, citizen complaints and requests for assistance.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigation of the crime, disorder, complaints, and requests for assistance and prepares an initial report.
- Interviews witnesses and interrogates suspects, arrests individuals suspected of committing crimes.
- Processes prisoners in custody, conducts prisoner searches, books, fingerprints, and supervises prisoners.
- Directs traffic and issues traffic citations when necessary.
- Serves warrants and subpoenas, files necessary reports and appears in court when required.
- Performs other related job duties as required.
Education: Requires the successful completion of the Civil Service examination and meeting additional requirements as stated in the Code of Iowa. Requires the successful completion of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Experience: Applicants for a position as a police officer with the City of Bettendorf must have two years of full-time law enforcement experience as a sworn federal, state, or local police officer at the time of hire OR at least sixty semester hours of accredited college or universityat the time of application OR have two years of active duty military experience at the time of application. This is an entry level position. Requires the ability to qualify with firearms.
Interpersonal Skills: Requires the interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a broad spectrum of the general population. Contacts include department and City employees, City residents, crime victims, witnesses, and perpetrators, representatives from the legal and court systems, and elected City officials.
Analytical Abilities: Evaluates crime scenes and investigative evidence, reconstructs the events of a crime, requests warrants based on deductions. Analyzes the potential threat in combat situations to determine the appropriateness of deadly force. Requires the ability to identify the nature of domestic or civil disturbances and resolve such incidents equitably.
Working Conditions: Requires working outdoors a majority of the shift as well as operating a motor vehicle in all weather conditions ranging from mild to severe. Requires occasional heavy exerting, lifting, pushing, running, and unarmed combat. Exposed to occasional armed combat which can be life threatening or result in bodily injury.
Minimum Qualifications: There shall be strict adherence to the following minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting or maintaining these minimum standards throughout the entire selection process will not be considered for employment as a peace officer with the City of Bettendorf.
- Citizenship: An applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
- Residence: Civil Service employees who are designated as emergency personnel must reside within Scott County, the corporate limits of the City of Bettendorf, or within fifteen (15) miles within the corporate limits of the City of Bettendorf by the most direct street, road, or highway. The appropriate residency must be established within 6 months of hire. Please view and read the full
. * Age: Applicant must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Education: Applicants for a position as a police officer with the City of Bettendorf must have two years of full-time law enforcement experience as a sworn federal, state, or local police officer OR at least sixty semester hours of accredited college or university OR have two years of active duty military experience.
- Physical Requirements: An applicant who will become an officer is required to be in acceptable physical and mental condition to perform his/her duties under physically demanding conditions. The following specific requirements must be met and maintained throughout the entire selection process:
- Uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye, corrected to 20/20 in each eye.
- Has color vision consistent with the occupational demands of law enforcement.
- Normal hearing in each ear.
- Medical conditions not specified will be evaluated by the Department’s physician, whose decision will be final.
- Must meet ILEA (Iowa Law Enforcement Academy) physical fitness standards. Please read and review
. * Please read and review
. * Driving Record: Applicants must possess a valid license. An applicant will not be considered for employment at this time if:
- Driving privileges have been suspended, cancelled or revoked in the three years prior to receipt of this application due to a moving traffic violation(s). These violations include, but are not limited to: driving while intoxicated, suspended, revoked or barred. Other suspensions, cancellations or revocations will be evaluated.
- Conviction of five moving violations in the three years prior to the receipt of this application.
- Other conduct not specified will be evaluated.
- Good Moral Character: An applicant must be of good moral character, which means that he/she can be trusted and is considered by those who know him/her to be a person of good reputation and good standing in the community. When conduct is of a nature that, if known, would tend to discredit the applicant as a peace officer, the applicant will not be employed. The character of a person is determined by past behavior. Many factors are relevant in this assessment. The Department seeks applicants whose histories show good judgment, maturity, a sense of responsibility, and the respect of others. Several factors will be considered:
- Conviction or commission of a felony (as defined by Iowa Law) will disqualify an applicant.
- Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa Law), less than 5 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of an aggravated misdemeanor more than 5 years ago will be evaluated.
- Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor (as defined by Iowa Law), less than 2 years ago will disqualify an applicant. Conviction or commission of a serious misdemeanor more than 2 years ago will be evaluated.
- Conviction of domestic assault, child abuse, or other conviction resulting from domestic or child abuse will disqualify an applicant.
- A consistent pattern of unexplained failures to meet debt obligations will be evaluated.
- An applicant who intentionally gives false or misleading information to the Department at any time during the application process will be disqualified.
- History of excessive use of alcohol will be evaluated.
- An applicant who has used any illegal drug while employed in any law enforcement or prosecution position, or while employed in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust, will be found unsuitable for employment. Unlawful sale of ANY controlled substance will disqualify an applicant.
- An applicant who has used any illegal drug, other than marijuana, within the last five years will be evaluated.
- An applicant who has used marijuana within the last three years will be evaluated.
- An applicant who is discovered to have misrepresented his/her drug history in completing the application will be found unsuitable for employment.
- Other conduct not specified will be evaluated.
Pay Minimum: USD $ 57,923 /Yr.
Bonus: Applicants who are already certified law enforcement officers are eligible for bonuses. The bonus schedule is as follows:
$2,500.00 – after completion of field training program
$2,500.00 – after completion of one year of service from date of hire
$2,500.00 – after completion of second year of service from date of hire
$2,500.00 – after completion of third year of service from date of hire
Out of state certified officers also qualify for the bonus incentive with the only difference being the first $2,500.00 bonus is received after completion of field training program and successfully completing the Certification through Examination otherwise known as the CTE program through the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy which certifies the officer in the State of Iowa.
When submitting an application include ALL of the following:
(complete with signature) (complete with signature) (complete with physician signature) (complete with signatures) * Photocopy of your current driver’s license
- Copy of your military discharge paper, DD 214 (if applicable)
- Certified copy of your college transcript (if applicable – please note these can take several weeks to obtain. You will want to request the copies early)
- List all residences, including military and school addresses from birth to present. Begin with your present address. List in reverse chronological order.
- List all previous employment (including self-employment) from first job to present. Periods of extended unemployment (over six months) must also be included. List “,USA”