Being a mom is one of the most rewarding experiences a woman can have. But it can also be one of the most challenging roles in her life. Juggling the roles of a parent and a career woman is a common conundrum for mothers. Many working moms struggle with trying to find the balance between their responsibilities, while also providing for their family or fulfilling their personal financial goals. Finding a good job that provides the flexibility necessary to manage their children’s needs while also earning a decent living is crucial. Fortunately, there are a myriad of job opportunities for moms out there that offer the work-life balance they need, as well as a sense of fulfillment and growth potentials. This article will explore some of the best jobs for moms, considering flexibility, part-time work, schedule options, work from home jobs, entrepreneurship, among other factors. By the end of this article, you’ll discover jobs that would help you balance your parenting responsibilities while pursuing your career goals.
Work from home jobs
Work from home jobs are perfect for moms looking to work at their convenience. Here are some of the categories of remote work options:
- Customer service: Many companies outsource their customer service work, offering remote customer service jobs. You only need a computer and an internet connection.
- Writing: Freelance writing jobs are also great options. There are several platforms like Upwork, ProBlogger, and Freelancer.com that offer freelance writing jobs.
- Design: Online design jobs range from graphic designing to web designing that you can do from home.
- Social media management: For moms with expertise in social media, managing businesses’ social media accounts remotely can be an excellent option.
Websites like FlexJobs and Remote.co offer listings of remote jobs available in various industries with flexible work options. There are many other websites as well that aid in finding remote jobs. Working remotely provides a lot of flexibility, making it ideal for mothers who need to be available for their children.
Is it Possible to be a Work from Home Mom?
Yes, it is definitely possible to be a work from home mom. With the advancement of technology, many working moms are opting for remote jobs or starting their own business from home. Some of the benefits of being a work from home mom include flexible schedules, no commute time, and the ability to spend more time with family.
Here are some popular options for work from home moms:
- Freelance writing, editing, or proofreading
- Virtual assisting or project management
- Selling products through a website or online marketplace
- Starting a blog or YouTube channel
- Teaching or tutoring online
Most importantly, being a work from home mom requires discipline and time management skills. It may take some adjustment and trial and error to find the right balance between work and family life. However, with dedication and the right resources, it is possible to have a successful career while being a present and active parent.
Part-time work is another great alternative for moms who need to bring in money without committing to 40-hour workweeks. Some of the benefits of part-time work include:
- Wider options: Many part-time jobs don’t need specific qualifications which increases the scope of jobs available for moms.
- Flexible scheduling: Part-time jobs can often have flexible schedules that fit with moms’ daily obligations and family schedules.
- Paid benefits: In some companies, even part-time workers get benefits like holiday leave, sick days, and maternity leave.
- Income supplement: Part-time jobs pay by the hour, which means you may have a good income source without working conventional full-time hours.
Check online job portals like Indeed, Monster, or SimplyHired for listings of part-time positions in your area. Retail, hospitality, and healthcare are some of the industries that commonly offer part-time work options as well. Take a look at the below table to know about some part-time jobs that are great for moms:
|Job Title||Job Description||Typical Pay|
|Retail Sales Associate||Assisting customers with purchase decisions & carrying out transactions||$12-15/hr|
|Delivery Driver||Delivering packages, food or other goods to customers||$15-25/hr|
|Tutor or Teaching Assistant||Helping students with their studies, arranging lessons & managing exercises||$15-30/hr|
|Freelance Writing & Editing||Writing or editing content for various outlets & clients||$20-40/hr|
Can you work part-time as a mom?
Yes, you can work part-time as a mom. Here are some options:
- Freelance writing or editing
- Virtual assisting
- Tutoring or teaching online
- Consulting in your field of expertise
There are many websites and products that can help you find part-time work as a mom, such as:
When looking for jobs that provide flexibility for moms, flexible scheduling is one of the most important factors. Some of the benefits of flexible schedules include:
- Ability to attend to family obligations: A job with a more flexible timetable allows you to attend to appointments and school pickups.
- Reduces Sick Days: Flexible work hours have been known to cause less absenteeism among working mothers.
- Increased productivity: Flexible scheduling can often result in employees showing increased productivity and dedication.
Some companies known for offering flexible scheduling options include Amazon, Hilton, and Dell. When searching for jobs with flexible scheduling, use job websites that have a filter function that allows you to look for hourly jobs or those with flexible schedules. Some filter options to try include:
- Weekend/Evening shift
- Job Sharing
- Flexible Hours
Check websites like Glassdoor or Indeed to find companies offering flexible work timing or read more about the companies on their official websites.
What is the importance of flexible scheduling?
- Increased work-life balance: Employees are able to balance their personal and professional commitments more effectively when they have a flexible schedule.
- Higher employee satisfaction: Giving employees the ability to control their own schedules leads to increased job satisfaction and a greater sense of control in their lives.
- Improved productivity: Flexible scheduling can enable employees to work at times when they are most productive, leading to greater output and efficiency.
- Attract top talent: Offering flexible scheduling can make your company more attractive to potential job candidates who value work-life balance.
If you’re looking to introduce a flexible scheduling policy in your workplace, there are several tools and resources available to help. Online scheduling software, such as When I Work, offers an easy way to manage employee schedules and coordinate shift changes. Alternatively, implementing a remote work policy can provide employees with even greater flexibility in their schedules.
Work in education
Education is a field that offers many jobs for moms who are looking for flexibility. There are several positions in the education industry that enable mothers to balance their work and family commitments more efficiently, some of which include:
- Teacher Assistant: Teacher assistants have a unique schedule that matches up with school timing.
- Tutor: A tutor is capable of setting their schedule according to their availability.
- Special Education Teacher: Special education teachers often receive shorter work days, which means they have more time to spend with their kids.
Aside from flexibility, jobs in education can provide a sense of satisfaction that stems from the ability to assist students through the learning journey. Education jobs can be found on job websites that specify the ‘Education‘ category, such as Monster or Teacher-Teacher. There are also websites dedicated to education jobs like HigherEdJobs, which offers education jobs according to specifications such as institution type, state, and employment type. Anyone in need of a job that provides flexible schedules and fulfilling work should consider education jobs.
What jobs are best for a mum?
If you’re a mum looking for a job, here are a few options that offer flexibility and work-life balance:
- Freelance writing or graphic designing
- Virtual assistant or customer service representative
- Online tutor or teacher
- Social media manager or content creator
There are also websites like FlexJobs and Remote.co that can help you find remote and flexible job opportunities. Additionally, some companies like Amazon, Dell, and Hilton offer work-from-home positions with benefits.
Entrepreneurship is an excellent alternative for moms looking to work from home or be their own boss. It offers the following advantages:
- Flexibility: One can work whenever they need to and adjust their schedule as per their family’s needs
- Autonomy: Being your own boss means having more control over your job duties and how you achieve your business targets.
- Entrepreneurship offers greater earning potential as you get the full profit of your business operations.
Ideally, one should pick a business idea that aligns with their hobbies, interests, and expertise. Proofreading business, interior designing, Etsy store, and online consulting can provide flexible schedules and decent income sources.
There are numerous resources available for individuals who aspire to become entrepreneurs, such as:
- Business Ideas for Moms: 10 Creative Business Ideas for Stay at Home Moms by Hanford Rabin.
- Entrepreneurial Moms: Making it Work by Jill Salzman. This book will inspire one to start their business and manage it with ease.
- Business courses are also available at websites like Udacity and Coursera, which provides insights on the basics of entrepreneurship and business management.
Overall, entrepreneurship provides mothers with the liberty to work in a comfortable environment, handle their family responsibilities, and reach their potential while achieving financial independence.
How do you balance motherhood and entrepreneurship?
- Set boundaries: It is easy to get carried away with work and forget about your family. Therefore, setting boundaries and creating a schedule that includes time for both work and family is critical.
- Get organized: Plan your day in advance and prioritize tasks. This will help you save time and remain productive.
- Outsource: There are many tasks that you can outsource to save time and concentrate on growing your business.
- Take care of yourself: Taking care of yourself is essential for your well-being and productivity. Take time for exercise, healthy eating and self-care.
- Find support: Finding a support system will provide you with encouragement, advice and a sounding board. Consider joining a mompreneur network or support group.
If you’re looking for resources for mompreneurs or tips on how to start a business, check out websites such as Mompreneur Advice and The Bossy Mom.
Finding a good job as a mom can be challenging, but there are plenty of options available to help manage time, maintain work-life balance, and support a family. Whether you prefer to work from home, part-time, or explore entrepreneurship, there are many opportunities to consider.
As we’ve seen, some of the best jobs for moms include work from home jobs, part-time work, flexible schedules, and work in education. Moreover, entrepreneurship is an excellent alternative for motivated and industrious mothers who wish to create a business that aligns with their expertise and interests.
Ultimately, being a mom doesn’t mean sacrificing professional aspirations, financial independence, or personal growth. With the right job or business, mothers can balance work and family, achieve their goals, and enjoy their lives fully.