Making money as a teenager can be a great way to gain independence and develop responsibility. Unfortunately, many traditional jobs that require prior experience and specialization may be difficult to get for younger job seekers. However, there are many easy and accessible ways for 17-year-olds to earn money without having to compromise on their schedules or require a lot of experience. Freelancing, completing online surveys, pet-sitting and dog walking, and odd jobs are just a few examples of jobs that can be done from home or with minimal supervision. These jobs allow teenagers to choose when and how much they work, earn money for things they want or need, and develop important life skills such as time management, communication, and responsibility. With a little effort and creativity, 17-year-olds can find ways to make money that fit their interests and skill sets.
– Freelancing work can be a great option for teenagers who want to work from home or have a flexible schedule.
– Websites like Upwork and Fiverr enable freelancers to search for and apply to a wide range of jobs, from design and writing to social media management and data entry.
– For those with a talent for writing, content mills like Textbroker or Crowd Content can provide a steady stream of work.
– The pay depends on the type of work and the freelancer’s experience level, but some projects can be highly paid.
– Freelancing also allows teens to build a portfolio and develop their skills, as well as interacting with other professionals.
What is the work of freelancing?
Freelancing refers to working for different clients or companies as an independent contractor rather than being a permanent employee. As a freelancer, you will typically have greater flexibility, freedom and control over your work. Freelancing work can include:
- Writing or editing content for websites or publications
- Designing graphics or creating videos
- Developing websites or software
- Providing consulting or coaching services
- Translating or interpreting languages
There are several freelance marketplaces like Upwork, Freelancer or Fiverr that connect freelancers with clients. However, to succeed in freelancing, it’s important to build a strong network, offer high-quality work and manage your time effectively.
- Online surveys can be an easy way for teens to earn some extra cash.
- Websites like Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, and Vindale Research offer paid surveys that range from a few cents to a few dollars per survey.
- Participating in surveys can also lead to free products and discounts.
- Some sites also offer cashback or reward programs when you shop from their affiliates.
- The earnings from surveys can add up over time, but it is not a reliable way to earn a full-time income.
Below is a table comparing some of the most popular survey websites based on their payout options, minimum payout threshold, and average payout per survey.
|Website||Payout Options||Minimum Payout Threshold||Average Payout per Survey|
|Swagbucks||Gift cards or PayPal||$3-$25||$0.40 – $2.50|
|Survey Junkie||PayPal or e-Gift Cards||$10||$0.50 – $3.00|
|Vindale Research||PayPal or Check||$50||$0.50 – $2.00|
It’s important to note that some survey websites may require you to reside in certain countries or regions to participate.
How to Earn Money as a Teenager?
As a teenager, there are various ways to earn money. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Babysitting for neighbors
- Walking dogs for pet owners
- Tutoring students in your area of expertise
- Starting a lawn mowing or car washing business
In addition to traditional ways of making money, there are also options for online work including completing surveys or freelancing. Websites like Fiverr and Upwork offer a variety of freelance jobs, catering to different skills and interests. Another option is to start a blog or YouTube channel to create content and monetize through advertising or sponsorships.
Pet-Sitting and Dog Walking:
– Pet-sitting and dog walking is a popular job among teenagers as it involves spending time with animals and being outdoors.
– The job typically involves feeding, exercising, and providing companionship to pets while their owners are away.
– Websites like Rover and Wag offer platforms for pet-sitters and dog walkers to connect with pet owners in their area and earn money.
– As a pet-sitter, you can set your own rates and schedule and choose the types of pets you would like to care for.
– It’s important to have experience with animals, particularly dogs, before becoming a pet-sitter or dog walker.
– Below is a table comparing some of the key features of Rover and Wag platforms for pet-sitters and dog walkers.
| Feature | Rover | Wag |
| —————— | ————————– | ————————– |
| Services offered | Dog walking, pet-sitting | Dog walking, pet-sitting |
| Insurance coverage | Yes | Yes |
| Rates | Set by pet-sitters | Set by Wag |
| Availability | International | Limited to certain regions |
| Commission fees | 15% | 40% |
– Each platform has its own set of rules and requirements for pet-sitters, so it’s important to read over the terms and conditions before signing up.
Is Dog Walking in High Demand?
Yes, the demand for dog walking services has been increasing as more and more people are adopting pets. Here are some facts to support this statement:
- In the United States alone, there are over 89.7 million dogs owned as pets.
- A survey conducted by Rover.com found that about 67% of dog owners hire a dog walker at least once a week.
- Dog walking apps and websites like Rover, Wag!, and Fetch! Pet Care have become popular platforms for pet owners to find trustworthy dog walkers.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has also fueled the demand for dog walking services as more people are working from home and need help exercising their dogs while they attend virtual meetings and conferences.
Yard Work and Odd Jobs:
– Yard work and odd jobs are great ways for teenagers to earn money while helping out their community.
– Lawn mowing, raking leaves, shoveling snow, and cleaning gutters are all examples of yard work that can be done for neighbors or family members.
– Odd jobs include tasks like washing cars, cleaning out garages, and running errands for busy individuals.
– Teenagers can advertise their services through flyers, social media, or word of mouth.
– Websites like TaskRabbit and Fiverr offer platforms for individuals to earn money by performing odd jobs and tasks for people in their community.
– Here is a table highlighting some key differences between TaskRabbit and Fiverr:
| Feature | TaskRabbit | Fiverr |
| —————— | ————————– | ————————– |
| Services offered | Odd jobs and tasks | Freelance services |
| Commission fees | 15% | 20% |
| Availability | International | International |
| Rates | Set by Tasker | Set by freelancer |
– It’s important for teenagers to take safety precautions when advertising their services and accepting odd jobs from strangers.
– Always make sure to communicate with clients beforehand, set clear expectations, and trust your gut instinct if something doesn’t feel right.
– Babysitting is a popular and flexible job option for 17-year-olds.
– It involves taking care of young children while their parents are away.
– Babysitters need to be responsible, reliable, and good with children.
– Teenagers can advertise their services through word-of-mouth or by posting flyers in local community centers or on social media.
– Websites like Care.com and Sittercity offer platforms for families to find qualified babysitters in their area.
– Here is a table highlighting some key differences between Care.com and Sittercity:
| Feature | Care.com | Sittercity |
| —————— | ————————– | ————————– |
| Services offered | Babysitting, caregiving, and pet care | Babysitting and pet care |
| Commission fees | Starting at $9 per month | Starting at $35 per quarter |
| Availability | International | US only |
| Background checks | Available | Available |
– It’s important for babysitters to have proper training in CPR and first aid, as well as knowledge of age-appropriate activities and safety protocols.
– Babysitters should also communicate openly with parents about their expectations and be prepared for emergency situations.
– By being a responsible and reliable babysitter, teenagers can build up a strong reputation in their community and earn repeat business.
How would you describe babysitting as a job?
As a babysitter, your primary job is to take care of children while their parents are away. It can be a fun and rewarding job, but it also comes with a lot of responsibility. Here are some characteristics that describe babysitting as a job:
- Flexible and varied working hours
- Requires a lot of patience, responsibility and creativity
- May involve preparing meals, helping with homework, and keeping the children entertained
- May require CPR and first aid training
- Pay rates vary depending on location, experience and number of children
If you are looking for babysitting gigs or want to hire a babysitter, websites like Care.com or Sittercity.com can help connect you with families in your area.
In conclusion, there are plenty of easy ways for 17-year-olds to make money, whether it’s through freelancing, completing online surveys, walking dogs, doing yard work, or babysitting. Each of these avenues has its own unique benefits and can provide teenagers with valuable experience and skills that can be applied in the future. When considering which option to pursue, teens should take their interests, skills, and availability into account, as well as any legal and safety requirements. By being proactive and responsible, teenagers can earn extra money while building a foundation for their personal and professional growth.
Overall, making money at a young age can teach important lessons about responsibility, financial management, and work ethic. It can also provide a competitive edge when it comes to applying for colleges or future jobs. With the resources and opportunities available, there’s no reason why 17-year-olds can’t start earning money and building a successful financial future today. So go ahead and explore the options available and find the one that suits you the best!