If you have a reliable car and a phone, you can use it to make extra money. These two items can be turned into an additional income stream with the right side hustle.
It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea to drive strangers from place to place, but it’s the perfect fit for a lot of side hustlers. There are other options if you don’t like being a ride-share driver.
While you could deliver food for your local pizza place, that type of job doesn’t always offer the most flexibility, and it could limit your earning potential. It is possible to make money while still enjoying the freedom of setting your own schedule with other types of flexible jobs.
Enter DoorDash. With delivery services booming (especially in light of COVID-19), you could earn some serious cash as a A Dasher is delivering food. Dasher has something for everyone.
In this DoorDash driver review, we will break down how DoorDash works, what you can earn, and whether or not the app is right for you. We’ll take a look at the pros and cons of the DoorDash driver job so you can make an informed decision on whether or not it’s the right fit for you.
What Is DoorDash?
DoorDash was started in San Francisco. DoorDash has delivery services in more than 4,000 cities in the United States, Canada and Australia. It is available in more than 850 cities. It is one of the most popular transportation options for commuters, travelers, and students. and Canada.
One of the most popular food delivery services is DoorDash, which allows customers to order food from their favorite restaurants and have it delivered to their door for a small delivery fee. Customers can easily find something that suits their tastes with DoorDash’s access to a wide variety of local restaurants.
DoorDash is simple: Customers can access restaurant menus and place their order in the DoorDash app, setting their tip amount and payment method. DoorDash delivery fees vary based on the size of your order and the distance between the restaurant and delivery address.
Doordash will alert nearby Dashers who are currently on the driver app. The Dasher will pick up your order at the restaurant and deliver it to you.
If you are a driver, you can accept an order, pick it up at the restaurant and deliver it using the instructions in the app. Once the delivery is completed, you will be paid for your time and effort.
How Does Driving for Doordash Work?
Would you consider driving for DoorDash? DoorDash is a great way to make extra money and work on your own time. There are two DoorDash apps, one for customers and one for drivers. The customer app allows customers to order food from their favorite restaurants with ease, while the driver app provides drivers with the tools they need to make deliveries quickly and efficiently.
The app can be downloaded on both devices.
You can learn how to drive for DoorDash. You can apply to become a DoorDash driver once you have qualifications and experience.
Signing Up to Drive for Doordash
To get started, you need to download the DoorDash driver app. DoorDash will ask for your:
- Driver’s license number
- Car insurance and vehicle information
You consent to a background check when you submit this info.
Once you’re approved, you’ll be mailed a A hot bag for food, a company credit card, and a guide are included in the Dasher activation kit. The Dasher activation kit is a great way to get started as a Dasher.
All you need to do before you start driving is to submit a You can get paid if you give DoorDash your bank account info.
If your background check is cleared, you can start making deliveries. After your background check is done, you’ll receive your activation kit in the mail.
The background check can take a week or an hour. The amount of information that needs to be verified depends on the complexity of the check.
You can make your own schedule by delivering food with DoorDash. You don’t need to worry about transportation because you can use your own car.
DoorDash has a feature that allows you to accept deliveries in the red zone. You can change your availability and accept orders quickly with DoorDash’s “Dash Now” feature.
You can schedule shifts for yourself and get notifications reminding you of upcoming shifts. On top of your work schedule, you can stay organized.
You can accept or decline the order when it is placed in your area. You will be directed to the customer’s address if you accept the order.
You will get a link to your navigation app of choice if you accept. As the package is sent to its destination, you’ll receive updates.
You can check to make sure the order is correct when you arrive at the restaurant. You can enjoy your meal if you confirm that everything is as it should be. The customer’s address will be given to you once you have the order in hand. You can place the order at the customer’s address.
You can see a receipt of your payment when you complete a delivery. Before leaving the delivery location, be sure to check the receipt for accuracy.
DoorDash pays its drivers weekly.
Payments are made on Monday for the previous week’s deliveries, ending with whatever you’ve made by midnight Sunday. Payments are processed quickly so you can get your money after the deadline.
You should haveyour payment in your bank account by Wednesday night.
How Much Do DoorDash Drivers Make?
How much do DoorDash drivers make? DoorDash drivers can make a lot of money by choosing when and how often they work. It depends on when and how often you work. The amount of money you make depends on the type of work you do. Overall, Dashers earn the following:
- Your base pay is the delivery fee, which you keep. You will receive a notification of your earnings after each successful delivery, as your base pay is calculated on the time and distance of each delivery. Before you accept a job, the app will tell you how much this is. It will allow you to compare different jobs and decide which one is right for you. The time, distance, and desirability of the delivery location are used to calculate it. The delivery rate reflects the effort and resources required to fulfill the order.
- Dashers can earn extra Peak Pay during busy hours. Dashers can earn Peak Pay to supplement their income during busy times. DoorDash rewards drivers who go the extra mile. DoorDash drivers can earn extra money with these challenge bonuses.
- You will get to keep 100% of the tips you earn from customers, as well as your base pay and promotions.
DoorDash charges restaurants that it partners with to stay in business. A slight increase in menu prices is caused by this fee being passed along to the customer.
DoorDash has advertised its drivers ability to make between $15 and $25 an hour in the past. Various incentives have been implemented by DoorDash to help its drivers maximize their earning potential.
Since they don’t tout that number as openly anymore due to the fact that you have to factor in some expenses and there are differences in earning potential based on your location, it’s a reasonable claim. The average Dasher can still make a good living if they put in the time and effort needed to do their job well.
Dashers who maximize their hours, mileage, and promotions could make more money than new drivers. Drivers can make more money by referring new drivers to the app, as they are often rewarded with bonuses when referrals complete a certain number of trips.
How to Maximize Your DoorDash Earnings
To get the most out of your DoorDash hustle and earn closer to $40 an hour than $20, here are a few tips:
- Customers are more likely to tip larger orders. Extra effort from your staff is required for some orders. If you want to get larger tips, make sure you choose the right size of orders. It’s important to be aware of your limits so that you can provide the best service possible. You could try to pick up as many orders as you can. This will help you make more money.
- If your schedule allows, schedule yourself to drive during peak hours like lunch and dinner to get more orders and higher pay.
- It’s important to keep in mind that areas with a lot of traffic can slow you down. It’s important to plan out your route in order to maximize efficiency, as rush hour traffic can have an impact on your speed and progress. Depending on where you deliver, you might have to pay for parking. When budgeting for your delivery job, be sure to factor in the cost of parking.
- There are tons of reviews and pointers from current drivers on online forums that can help you maximize your earnings. Reading reviews can help you become a more successful driver in the gig economy.
- There is no need to limit your earning potential to DoorDash. DoorDash earnings can be replaced by other side hustles. Put your phone and car to better use by using other services like Postmates. You can increase your earning potential by taking advantage of these services.
Pros and Cons of Driving for Doordash
DoorDash is a great way to make money. There are a few potential disadvantages to working with DoorDash.
- Quick signup process
- Flexible work hours
- Ability to earn extra with peak hours and hotspots
- Ability to decline or accept orders
- Pay is by delivery, not hourly
- Work must be scheduled or at a busy time
- Not available everywhere
Before applying for DoorDash, you should make sure it is active in your city. Before you sign up for DoorDash, you should do your research to make sure it’s the right fit for you.
You can make your own schedule by delivering food with DoorDash. While working on your own terms, you can make a great income by taking advantage of the flexible hours.
Alternatives to Driving for DoorDash
If you’re looking to compare a few more car-based side hustles, you might want to start with the ones below:
There is a lot of money to be made by combining delivery and rideshare services. Drivers can choose their own hours and earn a good income with these services.
DoorDash Driver FAQs
Is DoorDash legit?
DoorDash is a completely legitimate food delivery job, with close to 5 million customers across the United States and Canada. It works with many well-known restaurant chains and local businesses. Customers have access to a wide variety of options when placing an order.
What costs do you have to cover yourself with DoorDash?
You are responsible for all of your own expenses when you drive with DoorDash. Before signing up for DoorDash, it is important to take into account the costs associated with driving. We’re talking:
- Car Insurance
- Phone/Data coverage
- Vehicle Maintenance
How does DoorDash handle taxes?
DoorDash does not tax money. It’s up to the DoorDash driver to make sure they pay their taxes on time. When you become a Dasher, you are a self-employed contractor. It’s important to keep track of your finances.
If you make more than $600 a year with DoorDash, they will mail you a tax return. When filing your taxes, you’ll need to use the 1099-MISC.
You could get deductions for mileage, auto insurance, parking fees, and your phone plan if you track your expenses and keep receipts. Keeping an accurate record of your expenses will help you maximize your deductions.
What ratings does DoorDash consider?
DoorDash rates its drivers to make sure they are up to par. Customer service and delivery accuracy are included in the ratings. As a Dasher, you’ll be rated on your:
- DoorDash looks at the percentage of orders you decline and accept. A high rate of order acceptance is what DoorDash values drivers for.
- You must have a 70% order completion rate to drive for DoorDash. The completion rate is monitored closely. It is not on you if the customer or restaurant cancels. You are not responsible for cancellation fees.
- You can earn higher customer ratings for DoorDash if they have on-time deliveries. You will be rewarded with more delivery opportunities and a better reputation for your business.
- Customers rate you on a scale of 1 to 5 and DoorDash expects you to keep at least a 4.2. Excellent customer service is a must if you want to be successful on DoorDash.
Is Driving for DoorDash Worth it?
If you’re looking for an easy way to earn more money using your car and phone, keep DoorDash on your list.
You can pick and choose the orders that fit your schedule and goals with the app. You can set your own rate and work as much or as little as you want.
While you can’t guarantee that you’ll earn a set amount of money each week using the app, it’s a great short-term strategy for making money or a long-term addition to your other jobs, be it full or part-time jobs.
The app is spreading to more cities. It is expected to be a major player in the industry. It will give you more opportunities to earn on your terms. You can expand your delivery area to new neighborhoods.