This is a job posting from company – Dartmouth College
Employment Type – Full Time
Work Hours: 8
Salary: $20 To $30/An Hour
Location: New Hampshire, USA
This job is 100% remote.
To apply to this jobs please enter below information:
Posting date 11/04/2022
Open Until Filled Yes
Position Number 1000050
Position Title Director of Design
Department this Position Reports to Advancement Marketing and Engagement
Hiring Range Minimum Please Inquire
Hiring Range Maximum Please Inquire
SEIU Level Not an SEIU Position
FLSA Status Exempt
Employment Category Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year 12
Scheduled Hours per Week 40
This position does offer a remote opportunity if the candidate is located in New England region and can get to Hanover, NH when needed.
Location of Position
Hanover, NH 03755
5 Allen Street
This position does offers a remote opportunity if the candidate is located in New England region and can get to Hanover, NH when needed.
Remote Work Eligibility? Hybrid
Is this a term position? No
If yes, length of term in months. NA
Is this a grant funded position? No
The Advancement Marketing and Engagement (M&E) Director of Design is responsible for formulating, guiding, and evaluating the innovative visual concepts that support Dartmouth’s alumni engagement and fundraising priorities. Leads and supervises a team of in-house designers plus a cadre of freelance designers and agency partners to advance Dartmouth’s brand and core messages to critical audiences (alumni, donors, parents of current students and friends of the Institution). Serves as a resource for Advancement colleagues, helping them achieve their goals by providing graphic design expertise and high-quality, compelling, and customized visuals to illustrate the projects they produce – with a growing emphasis in the digital design space.
Required Qualifications – Education and Yrs Exp Bachelor’s degree
Required Qualifications – Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design or related field or equivalent visual art and management experience required
- 10 years management experience working with large scale branding projects, marketing, and advertising; corporate identity work highly desirable
- 6+ years with a wide range of graphic design projects
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, planning, and organization skills
- Creative spark, initiative, collaborative, client-focused
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of communications and non-communications professionals to help them articulate messages that move audiences to action and then translate these messages into compelling design
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignment – with a special emphasis on teaching and inspiring design team to be as proficient in the digital space as traditional print.
- A “doer,” who understands objectives and KPIs of the projects s/he is leading and has a strong drive for action.
- Adaptability: willingness and capacity to “turn on a dime” when priorities change
- Deadline driven
- Ability to make evaluative judgments
- High proficiency in all aspects of graphic design, production, including digital marketing tools and systems
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft 365, Excel, Portfolio, Slack, and project management software
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, ActionScript, UX/UI design, Sketch, In Vision Studio, HubSpot (or other marketing automation platforms), project and content management systems
- Experience in Scrum teams and work process deliverables.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title Lesa Knapp, Director of Advancement Business Operations
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit media portfolio with application.
Please note we have retained The Ward Group, an executive search firm, to manage this search. All inquiries, expressions of interest, and nominations should be sent to The Ward Group at .
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID-19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy.
In close consultation with M&E’s directors, conceives, plans, manages, and executes the design and production of a wide range of communications projects for specific audiences to support Advancement goals. Collaborates with colleagues from M&E’s editorial and digital teams to develop rough creative/design ideas that result in full-fledged concepts. Brings a creative, strategic, and analytical approach to planning sessions with colleagues and senior management. Is comfortable and experienced in all levels of communications and channels including print, digital (e.g., web, social media, data visualization, infographics), video, email marketing, signage, event design, and more. Works directly with the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Advancement Marketing and Engagement to engage colleagues across Advancement and campus on issues related to Dartmouth’s visual identity to help ensure that the college presents a consistent brand. Partners with AVP and our M&E directors to plan and build a disciplined, strategic, innovative, and digital-first operation. Finally, will play a leading role, in partnership with AVP and M&E’s directors, in Advancement’s next design look and feel in the post campaign era.
Percentage Of Time 70
Hires, trains, equips, and maintains a high-performing team, connecting each member to overall Advancement goals and Dartmouth’s mission. Especially important is the ability to not only do, but to teach and inspire our designers in the best practices of digital design as the M&E team continues its evolution to a digital first shop. Ensures that staff members follow established strategies and practices (and meet department standards in all creative efforts) through supervision, training, and formal evaluations. Enforces departmental budget and deadlines for graphic design work.
Percentage Of Time 20
Negotiates rates, assigns projects and deadlines, and directs contractors to ensure that work is on time, meets standards of quality, and is consistent with the Dartmouth brand as well as the communications team’s sensibilities.
Percentage Of Time 10
— Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
— Performs other duties as assigned.