This is a job posting from company – Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services
Employment Type – Full Time
Work Hours: 8
Salary: $20 To $30/An Hour
Location: New York, USA
This job is 100% remote.
To apply to this jobs please enter below information:
Sheltering Arms strengthens the education, wellbeing, and development of high-need children,
adults, and families across the New York metro area. We serve nearly 20,000 people a year from
the South Bronx to Far Rockaway. Through compassion, innovation, and partnership, we
respond to our community’s greatest needs and enable individuals to reach the greatest heights of
their potential. Joining our team is an opportunity to collaborate with hundreds of dedicated
colleagues who represent diverse backgrounds and talents as we work together to make a
measurable impact for our neighbors in need. Every role at Sheltering Arms brings with it new
opportunities for advancement and development so that team members can achieve their
professional goals while helping others reach for theirs.
Job Summary: Are you a person who thrives when helping others and is passionate about
supporting individuals with developmental disabilities? Then this might be the job for you! Direct
Support Professionals (DSP) provides hands-on care, assistance, and training for people with
intellectual and developmental disabilities. The ultimate goal is to promote independence and
support in their day-to-day living. Sheltering Arms promotes a person-centered approach to
supporting people in our programs by creating plans catered to the individual needs of the people
we support. Join our dynamic team teaching daily and independent living skills, providing
individual & group counseling, and promoting integration.
- Help residents with physical care, toileting, showers, teeth, grooming, dressing, and stress good hygiene
- Learn the residents’ way of functioning and know when the resident needs help
- Help to teach residents skills needed for daily living and socialization according to their abilities
- Help and assist residents in keeping their rooms, clothing, and possessions in good condition
- Help residents with eating and drinking skills and table manners
- Participate in toilet training of residents
- Administer medication
- Work under the direction of Therapists, Nurses, and Social Worker to learn to help and coping skills
- Record daily log, activity sheets, trip evaluations, and attendance sheets
- Take residents to community stores, places of worship, recreation, health facilities, etc., being careful to ensure their safety while helping them to learn how to manage community facilities.
- Participate as a member of a Team in the development, implementation, and evaluation of each individual’s plan of care.
- Carry out fire drills, evacuations, and emergency procedures. Attend staff meetings and in-service training sessions
- Assist individuals to navigate going into the van/bus for appointments and community outings
- If applicable DSP must secure individuals in wheelchairs as needed for safe transport
- DSP will ensure that the individual safely enters his/her residence
- Ability to lift boxes, furniture, and equipment up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to lift and move individuals if needed up to 200 lbs.
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License, New York State Preferred
- Professional or Personal experience supporting people with intellectual/developmental disabilities Preferred
- Certified training in AMAP, CPR/First Aid, SCIP-R upon hire preferred| Training will be provided
- Previous experience in Human Services and/or Developmental Disabilities preferred.
- Ability to participate in a 2-day paid NYS Mandate OPWDD training upon hire
- Tuberculosis (PPD) test mandatory for most positions
- For this role, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the job.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision plan options
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Competitive base salary for non-profit market
- 403(b) retirement options
- 10 company holidays per year plus 2 additional floating holidays
- Union Membership for full time and part-time positions
- Opportunities for growth and development
- Other related tasks that may be assigned
Pay Rate: $15/hr
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all
employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual’s
perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienation, citizenship status, gender, gender
identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or
veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring,
compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading,
transfer, layoff and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Powered by JazzHR