There is no shortage of side hustles for engineers to earn extra income since they have an incredibly broad knowledge base. Engineers can use their skills in a variety of ways, from building websites to tutoring students.
The perfect side job for an engineer is where their talent, skills, interests, and availability intersect. Engineers can maximize their potential and enjoy the job at the same time if they find a side job that maximizes the use of their talents. Most of the population can’t do what you’re trained to do, and job platforms are full of people looking for specialized services. It’s important to recognize the value of your skills and use them to your advantage.
If you are an engineer looking to make some extra cash, we have listed the best side hustles. There are many opportunities to make money outside of your job in mechanical, software, or electrical engineering.
Best Side Hustles for Engineers
- General Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Data Engineers
- Civil Engineers
- Architectural Engineers
General Engineering Side Hustles
- Quality Control Consulting : As a contractor (for electrical, structural, technical, environmental factors, etc.)
- Substitute Teaching : In subjects such as math and science
- Training and Tutoring : Help students prepare for exams in engineering subjects
- Design an Online Course : For other engineers who are just starting out
- Start a YouTube Channel : For tutorials on topics engineering students need help with
- House Inspections : For homebuyers or real estate investors
- Create Custom Items : If you enjoy woodworking, you can make a profit selling furniture, cabinets, and kitchen islands. One-of-a-kind pieces can be created by using different types of wood and techniques.
- 3D Part Printing : If you spring for a 3D printer, offer 3D custom printing for prototypes, housing designs, and much more
- CAD Designs : You can hire out your drafting through online portals. You can find experienced professionals on these platforms.
Price: $9.95 w/ 30-day Money-Back Guarantee
There are both full-time and part-time jobs on the site. You’re sure to find the perfect job if you use the job search resources. The researchers at FlexJobs screen job listings to make sure they don’t have any ads. They use a combination of automated and manual processes to make sure that job listings are legitimate. FlexJobs has everything from entry-level to executive positions. You can find a career that fits your lifestyle at FlexJobs.
Side Hustles for Software Engineers
A software engineer is responsible for designing and testing software to make people’s lives easier. Software engineers play a vital role in the development of new technologies. There are many ways to make money online by contracting out your software engineering skills. The internet has made it easier to monetize your skills.
Consider these in-demand side hustles for software engineers:
- App Design and Development : For tech-based businesses and online business owners who want to offer special functions to customers
- Data Analysis : Organize information for companies who want to streamline operations
- IT Support : Work remote and part-time within a company that needs only intermittent tech support
- AI Development : Offer training services or design to tech companies that need the extra help
- Web Design : If you enjoy using your creative side, you can design and sell custom website themes
- Technology Freelancers: Offer your tech and coding knowledge as a freelancer on Upwork, Fiverr, or Indeed
One of the top platforms for finding work is Fiverr. With a wide range of services from creative to technical, it’s easy to find the perfect job on Fiverr. It’s free to sign up now. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by – take advantage of it today!
Side Hustles for Mechanical Engineers
Developing, testing, and improving just about any mechanical device you can imagine is what mechanical engineering is all about. The field of mechanical engineering continually pushes the boundaries of innovation and creativity. Engineering is full of side-hustle opportunities from medical devices to household appliances. Engineers can make a positive impact in many areas, and they are an important part of our modern society.
- Build Prototypes : Offer help to inventors or hire out your expertise to a prototype development firm
- Substitute Math Teacher : Or help students who need math tutoring online
- CAD Training : For various companies that need team training or instruction
- Freelance Engineering : Offer your engineering skills as a freelancer
Freelance mechanical engineer work can also be found on sites like Upwork, allowing you to list your services and prices for hire. You can make a lot of money doing this side job. It’s a great way to make extra money and still have time to do other things.
Electrical Engineering Side Hustle Ideas
There are hundreds of ways to earn money on the side since there is so much knowledge in electrical engineering. Freelancing in electrical engineering is a great way to supplement your income.
- Hands-on Electrical Work : In areas with a housing boom, there are likely dozens of side jobs for electrical specialists to inspect electrical systems or install them
- Consulting : In large projects involving extensive electrical systems
- Cellphone Repair : As a freelancer or for a repair company on the weekends
- Quality control : There are companies with complex electrical needs. The best solutions for these needs can be determined by an experienced and knowledgeable electrical contractor.
- On-call Help : Sales staff need to be aware of electrical components of the equipment they sell. i.e. generators, appliances, other electrical equipment
Side Hustles for Data Engineers
A data engineer has the same skills as a software engineer. To ensure efficient and effective data management, data engineers need to be highly knowledgeable about the various data storage systems and databases available. There is no shortage of lucrative side hustles since data engineers have a lot of computer and coding knowledge. Many data engineers make a lot of money by working from home.
- Remote IT : With extensive knowledge in computing, data engineers can fill this in-demand side job
- Freelance Web Development : Or offer coding services to a web agency
- Teach Online : Offer an online course teaching some top skills for data management
- Virtual Assistant : An online business owner needs help putting their daily operating systems in place. Ensuring that these systems can be updated regularly is the key to success.
According to listings at FlexJobs, there are also positions in:
- Data engineer consulting
- Engineering mentorships
- Data science writing
- Technical instruction
Side Hustle Ideas for Civil Engineers
You have a civil engineer to thank if you have ever driven across a bridge, flown out of an airport, or ridden the subway. Civil engineers help keep our infrastructure safe. From soil and water testing, to hydraulics design, to city permitting for construction projects — the civil engineer is a They are definitely qualified for a variety of side hustles because of their many trades. They are an ideal candidate for those looking to make more money.
- Woodworking : According to a fabulous Reddit thread, quite a few civil engineers enjoy carpentry and building custom furniture on the side
- Tutor : Engineering students to pass the PE exam
- Start a For demonstrating your top skills are car maintenance, woodworking, etc. You can monetize your channel by creating sponsored content. This can be monetized with ads.
- Inspect Homes : As a freelance house inspector or provide flood elevation certificates for homeowners
- Concrete Work : Lay concrete for projects if you have concrete experience. Become certified as a concrete professional will increase your job prospects.
Architectural Engineer Side Hustles
Architectural engineers play a large role in everything from football stadium lighting to acoustics in a theater. Ensuring that the structures we live in are safe and pleasing is their job.
The skills of architectural engineers are design, creativity, and problem-solving. Architectural engineers combine their technical knowledge with creative vision to design buildings and structures that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Creative and critical thinking are what these side jobs are for.
- Drafting : On the side, offer drafting services. Access to a network of experienced legal professionals who can help with any questions or concerns is offered. As a contractor, you can set your own rates
- Freelance : Your expertise for a building project
- Offer Consultation : For building technology design and troubleshooting
- Get Creative : By designing various products to sell on Fiverr or Etsy (jewelry, art, paintings, metal sculpture, etc.). If you like drawing, you can offer custom logos or graphic designsfor paper products. You could make art for unique gifts.
Other Part-Time Jobs for Engineers Who Want a Side Hustle
Some engineers would like to work on the side to make more money. Before accepting a job you’re interested in, be sure to research it thoroughly to make sure it’s legit and matches your skills.
- Make replicas for sci-fi buffs. Adding an extra layer of realism to cosplay and other costumed events can be done with replicas. (Think swords, models of special characters, spaceships, and the like.)
- Sign up for market research groups
- Become a freelancer
- Real estate sales or property rentals
- Pet-Sitting or Walking Dogs
Check out job boards listing part-time work, hop on platforms such as Upwork, or build a stellar LinkedIn profile and advertise your services.
After reading this article, there are many more side hustle ideas we haven’t mentioned. Take the time to research side hustles and find one that is right for you and your lifestyle.