All of it happens in your checking account. It’s important to keep an eye on your checking account activity. Some might say that it is the center of your financial universe.
Things seem done after you opened the account. It’s important to review your account regularly and make sure it’s still meeting your needs. You use your account daily, yet you don’t ask if your account could do more for you. You may be able to get even more convenience and control with the different features and settings your account offers.
It would be a shame to not get one of the awesome checking accounts on the market. It’s important to research the account that best fits your financial needs because there are so many options. I am talking about accounts that are completely free if you still pay for yours. These accounts are great for saving money and making extra income.
You could be making money just by keeping your account open. You can use the money in your account to start investing.
15 Best Checking Accounts
Here are the best checking accounts you can open today:
- Chase : Total Checking Account
- Axos Bank : Rewards Checking Account
- Aspiration : Spend & Save Account
- Quontic : High-Interest Checking
- Chime : Spending Account
- Betterment : Betterment Checking
- Capital One : Capital One 360 Checking
- Ally Bank : Interest Checking Account
- Wells Fargo : Everyday Checking Account
- TIAA : Yield Pledge Checking
- Alliant Credit Union : High Rate Checking
- Connexus Credit Union : Xtraordianry Checking
- LendingClub Bank : Rewards Checking
- NBKC Bank : Everything Account
- Discover : Best National Bank for Checking
1. Chase Total Checking
If you want a physical branch, the Chase Total Checking account is an excellent option. It has a free online banking service that makes it easy to transfer money, check your balance and pay bills. One of the largest branch and ATM networks in the U.S. is owned by Chase. (Yup, more than 5,300 branches!)
You can avoid the $12 maintenance fee by keeping a daily balance of at least $1,500 and receiving at least $500 in direct deposits a month. The fee can be avoided if you maintain a combined balance of $5,000 in your linked accounts. If you meet the requirements, they offer bonus offers. It is possible to maximize your savings and get the most out of your purchase with bonus offers.
- $12 maintenance fee can be waived
- No minimum balance requirements
- Access to 16,000 Chase ATMs
- Access to over 4,700 bank branches
- Highly-rated mobile app (4.8 on the App Store, 4.4 on Google Play)
- $12 maintenance fee
- $34 overdraft fee
- Doesn’t earn interest
Chase Total Checking®
Bonus Offer: $200
After you open a new Chase Total Checking account and make your first deposit, you can earn a $200 bonus.
2. Axos Bank Rewards Checking Account
Axos Bank’s Anyone looking to earn high interest on their checking account should consider the rewards checking account. It requires the customer to use their checking account on a regular basis in order to manage their money and build credit.
Your checking account balance could earn 1.25% APY if you combine the following criteria:
- Receive monthly direct deposits of $1,500 or more, not including transfers, to earn the first 0.40 percent APY. Regardless of the deposit size, you can still get the same competitive rate.
- Signing up for the Personal Finance Manager will allow you to earn another.30 APY if you use your debit card 10x per month.
- For an additional.20% yield, keep an average daily balance of at least $2,500 in one of the managed investment accounts. These accounts are managed by experienced financial advisors who will work with you to build an investment strategy tailored to your goals.
- Self-Directed Trading: You can earn an additional 0.20% APY if you maintain an average daily balance of $2,500 in a The trading account is self directed. With a self directed trading account, you can take control of your investments and manage your own portfolio with ease.
- If you use your checking account to make full monthly payments on your Axos Bank loan, you can earn another.15% in interest. You can save money on interest charges by applying this additional benefit to the outstanding balance of your loan each month.
The bank stopped paying interest on checking balances over $50,000. There are no maintenance fees, monthly minimums, or overdraft fees in other areas. With competitive interest rates and a no-hassle mobile app, Axos is the perfect choice for those looking to simplify their finances. It is easy to hit the $50 minimum opening balance. You can get unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements with Axos Bank. There are no fees for overdrafts, monthly maintenance fees, or minimum balance requirements, so you don’t have to worry about those extra costs.
- If you meet the qualifications, you can earn up to 1.25 percent on any balance. You can open an account without a minimum balance requirement.
- There are unlimited ATM fee reimbursements in the U.S. Saving money on banking fees while traveling in the U.S. is possible with this benefit.
- No overdraft fees
- There is no minimum account balance. There are no service charges required.
- To open an account, you need $50. You will get a free gift when you open your account today.
- No interest on balances over $50,000
- Difficult requirements to earn the full 1.25% APY
- Has a minimum opening deposit requirement
User-friendly online banking tools and tailored business banking solutions are offered by Axos Bank. All of your banking needs can be supported by a team of dedicated banking professionals.
3. Aspiration Spend & Save™
Aspiration has a checking account that will help you save money on everyday purchases. A portion of your purchase is donated to an environmental nonprofit of your choice with the account. You can get up to 3% APY on your Aspiration Spend & Save account balance, which dwarfs the savings rate at most neighborhood banks. It’s easy to transfer money in and out of your account with Aspiration.
You can earn up to 5% with Aspiration Plus. ATM fee reimbursement and a sign-up bonus of $100 are offered by Aspiration Plus.
When you shop with retailers that are friendly to the environment, they will pay up to 5% of the purchase price back to Aspiration Plus account holders. Aspiration Plus account holders have access to exclusive discounts and offers that are only available to members.
Along with all this earnings potential, you’ll also pay no monthly fees, no overdraft fees, and no ATM fees even when you use another bank’s ATM network.
A lot of customers wonder how Aspiration can afford the incentives. Aspiration’s mission is to put customers first and reward them for their loyalty, so they are more than happy to offer these incentives. The answer? There are a lot of possibilities with existing only online. It makes it possible for businesses to reach customers around the world. With no buildings to heat and cool and no staff in every city, Aspiration can’t afford higher rates. The company has been able to offer a wide range of benefits.
Speaking of profit-sharing, Aspiration also shares 10 percent of its annual revenue with environmentally friendly causes, helping earn it B Corp status.
- No monthly, overdraft, or ATM fees charged
- Up to 3-5% interest earned on the Spend & Save™ Account balance
- $10 is required to open an account; no minimum balance afterward
- Solid mobile apps
- Connect Venmo, PayPal, and Apple Pay easily
- You can connect a limited retirement and investment account. Many of these accounts have great potential for growth.
- Highest rewards require a monthly subscription
- No physical locations
- No interest on balances over $10,000 with a free account
Aspiration Spend & Save™
You can have access to free checking with the Aspiration Spend and Save account, and you can also earn cash back on your purchases.
4. Quontic High-Interest Checking
Quontic has a high-interest checking account with easy requirements. Quontic’s high-interest checking account is the perfect choice if you’re looking to save for an emergency fund or just want a great return on your money.
If you make 10 point-of-sale transactions of at least $10 with your Quontic card per month, you can earn 1.10% APY. There is no minimum balance needed to start earning this rate. You get a.10% APY if you don’t meet that threshold. Even if you don’t meet the threshold, it’s still worth considering, as it’s a better rate than many other savings accounts.
There is a minimum opening deposit of $100. There are no monthly service fees or overdraft fees, but there is a $5 dormant account fee.
If you want to open more accounts, Quontic has a rewards checking account. The rewards checking accounts are great for anyone looking to maximize their savings because they have no monthly fees.
Quontic has created a solid mobile banking experience. The app can be used to transfer funds, send money, and deposit checks. You can manage your budget and track spending with the app.
- Competitive APY
- Mobile and online banking
- No overdraft fees
- Network of over 90,000 ATMs
- $100 minim deposit requirement
- Limited physical branches
- No weekend customer support
Ultra-competitive rates are offered by Quontic Bank. Quontic Bank offers the best service and financial products in the industry. A Quontic Bank is a great place to store cash and earn interest at the same time. The customer service team is always available to answer questions if you have a Quontic checking account.
5. Chime Spending Account
Chime’s Spending Account is great for a lot of reasons. It is a great way to save money. There are no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements. You don’t have to pay any fees or penalties when you access your funds. There are more than 60,000 ATMs. Thanks to Chime, the checking account experience is very neat. You can stay up-to-date with your transactions with the app, which allows you to access your account information in real-time.
- No maintenance fees.
- There is no minimum account balance.
- There are over 60,000 fee-free ATMs. Many of these ATMs are open 24/7.
- Up to 2 days early, you can get paid with direct deposit. Direct deposit is a great way to make sure you have access to your money as soon as possible.
- Automatic Savings helps you save. It’s easy to save for future plans, such as a vacation.
- Highly rated mobile app on both the App Store and the Play Store. Users have praised the app for its ease of use.
- No physical locations
- Doesn’t fully reimburse out-of-network ATM fees
- Doesn’t earn interest
Chime offers no hassle online banking with a quick and easy to use app that allows you to manage all or your accounts in one place, and there are no fees to worry about. Chime has a variety of helpful features.
Is it OK to Have Multiple Checking Accounts?
So, you’re seeing these fantastic free checking accounts and thinking… why can’t I just have multiple accounts and reap all the benefits. Having multiple accounts can be a great way to maximize your earning potential and take advantage of all the perks that come with it.
Dealing with multiple financial institutions can get too confusing, even though that is a valid question. If you want to reach your financial goals, you should choose one or two financial institutions. It should be easy to manage one or two accounts. It is important to keep track of all accounts and be aware of any changes in fees. Especially if you own a small business or side hustle and want to keep your personal finances separate from work.
That’s the right thing to do – and if you’re looking for a bank for your business, check out this list of best business checking accounts for 2023.
It may no longer be worth it if you open three or four accounts at different banks. It is important to think about the time and effort it will take to manage multiple accounts before making a decision. Here’s why:
Managing Accounts Gets Tricky
Keeping track of multiple accounts can be difficult. A password manager can help you store and organize your information. You have to keep an eye on your account to prevent identity fraud or be able to identify it as soon as possible. Monitoring your credit report is a good way to make sure you don’t have any suspicious activity on your account.
If you have one or two accounts that’s an easy task — I recommend opening a high yield savings account online and connecting it to your primary checking account.
It can be difficult to protect your private information if you have accounts with more than one financial institution. Keeping track of multiple accounts can be time consuming and difficult, so it’s important to make sure you are taking the necessary steps to secure your sensitive data. You should choose a bank that is uniquely qualified to take care of your account’s purpose. If an existing bank can do what you need, keep things simple. To make sure you are getting the best deal, research the features and fees associated with your current bank.
Fees Add Up
You will need to keep track of how much you are being charged for each account if you have multiple accounts. Fees can be introduced later, or you could incur fees for transactions that you may not have known about.
Staying on top of bank fees is a challenge if you have multiple accounts. If you have many accounts, those fees can quickly add up, and they can gnaw away at your higher interest payouts. It’s important to keep track of your fees and make sure you don’t overpay for services you don’t really need.
TIP: Make sure to keep a checking account buffer in each account.
Meeting Requirements Becomes Difficult
There are many bank accounts that offer interest checking accounts. Before you sign up for a bank account, be sure to read the fine print to understand the terms and conditions.
- You have to keep a minimum balance or use your card a dozen times a month. Fees may be charged to your account if you don’t use your card a dozen times a month. Meeting the requirements gets harder when your funds are distributed across multiple accounts. Keeping track of your spending will allow you to know how much money you have in each account.
- Direct deposits of $1,000 a month are required for some accounts to waive monthly service fees or qualify for the best annual percentage yield. This means that you don’t have to make any effort to earn interest on your savings. Is it possible to meet that requirement at two or three different accounts? It is possible to achieve with proper organization and management of your accounts.
- You might not know which accounts allow your partner to call customer service as a joint account holder. Asking the bank directly can help you avoid fees and save money in the long run.
If you are willing to invest some time and energy into this, you could open and manage at least a couple of checking accounts. You can choose checking accounts that best suit your needs and financial goals, so make sure to do your research before making a decision. I know a lot of people who use different accounts for different things, including cash back, spending abroad, and earning interest. It is possible to maximize financial benefits by utilizing different accounts according to their specific advantages. It can be done, but you have to be wise with your money. Financial stability can be achieved by creating a budget and sticking to it.
Should I Open an Online or a Traditional Checking Account?
Every year I add another online bank to my list of best checking accounts. This is partly because new online banks come on the scene and offer nice perks like interest checking accounts and high-yield money market or savings accounts.
Should you use an online bank for your primary checking account? Online banks offer lower fees and higher interest rates than traditional brick-and-mortar banks, making them an attractive option for those looking to save money on banking products. Higher interest and lower fees can be found in online checking. Online checking accounts have higher withdrawal limits than traditional banks.
The answer depends on how you use your checking account:
- Do you need to make cash deposits into your checking account? It could be difficult to deposit cash. It can be a security risk if you have a lot of cash. You would have to deposit the cash into a local account and then transfer it to your online bank. You can use a bank transfer service to send money from your local account to your online bank. It can take a few days to transfer money. If you need the money by a certain date, be sure to plan ahead. You can deposit money via mobile check deposit if you write a check from another bank. It may take a few days for the check to clear. Allow plenty of time for the check to clear before you count on the funds.
- Do you have access to a fee-free ATM? I’m wondering if you have access to a fee-free ATM, and if we could look into other options. This used to be more of a problem for online banks. When you have to use one to make an ATM withdrawal or deposit, most of them reimburse you for other banks’ fees. Before opening an account, check the online bank’s policy. It is possible to find the best account for your needs by comparing different banks. Some work only on certain ATM networks. The ATM fee rebates are limited by others. You can only get a limited number of ATM fee rebates each month.
- If you want to ask the teller a question, you can call, chat, email, or in some cases, text. With an online bank, you can access your account and financial information from the comfort of your own home, eliminating the need to travel to a physical bank location.
The best banks — both online and traditional — give you the most seamless access to your money when you need it. Every time you want to pay for something, you should not have to think about surcharges or ATM reimbursements. You shouldn’t have to worry about hidden fees when paying for items.
overdraft protection and online bill pay are features that the best banks have. It’s easier to manage your finances with these features. Old-fashioned paper checks and paper statements can now be charged extra by online banks. Consumers will be encouraged to use more efficient digital payment and banking methods as a result of these fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to open a checking account online?
All of the banks listed are safe to open an account with. If you are working with a bank that protects your data, you should be fine.
It is important that your online bank is insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. $250,000 of protection is offered to each customer. Customers can rest assured that their money is safe.
Do I have to make a deposit to open a checking account online?
You have to make an opening deposit. You may have to maintain a minimum balance in order for the account to remain open. You may be able to use a check or money order for online banks. Direct deposit from employers or other sources of income can be accepted by online banks. You can make a cash deposit to your local bank to open a new account. Understand opening deposit requirements by reading the fine print. If you have any confusion about the fine print, be sure to ask questions.
Can I get a bonus for opening a new checking account?
There are several great bank promotions that will offer a bonus when you open an account. Before opening your new checking account, make sure to read the steps and requirements carefully. When opening a checking account, you may need to provide your Social Security number, driver’s license or other forms of identification.
Does my credit score affect my checking account?
Your credit history doesn’t affect your eligibility for a checking account, but banks can check your banking history through a special industry-specific database they call ChexSystems. The information gathered in ChexSystems is used to make decisions about whether or not to approve a checking account application.
If you have other checking accounts that stayed in the red for weeks, or if you never cleared up overdraft charges on your last bank account, your new bank may deny your application or charge higher fees. Before applying for a new bank account, you may want to take some time to review your credit history and make sure you pay off any debts that might affect your application.
Signing up for a joint account with someone with a calmer banking history could help you get better terms. It can be beneficial for both parties to have a joint account, as you could potentially help each other access better financial terms and deals. If you try to start an overdraft protection line of credit, your credit score will be important.
Are checking accounts free?
It is possible to open a checking account without a minimum balance or monthly maintenance fees. Fees may be charged for some actions. Before investing, it is important to understand the fees associated with each account.
Regardless of whether you choose an online or local bank, look out for some of these common fees:
- ATM surcharges
- Overdraft fees
- Wire transfers
- Minimum balance
What are the benefits of opening a checking account online?
Several benefits are shaved by online checking account. They can make it easier to transfer money between accounts, as well as simplify the process of tracking income and expenses. They are able to offer higher interest rates and lower fees because they don’t have a brick and mortar bank. Online banks are a great option for people who want to maximize their savings and minimize their banking costs.
They offer exceptional digital tools to help you manage your finances on the go. These tools can help you stay on top of your finances, so you can make better decisions with your money.
What is overdraft protection?
If you exceed your checking account balance, Overdraft protection will cover you. If you overdraw your account, you may be charged fees.
The transaction goes through even if you are short because of the cushion that prevents charges from being rejected due to insufficient funds. This cushion can help those in need of emergency funds by allowing them to pay for items without having to worry about the transaction being declined.
Which is the Best Checking Account for Me?
Most of us want the same things from our checking account: low fees, free ATMs, and good customer support. It’s important that we have a good interest rate on our money.
These are the basics you should look for, but you could demand more from your checking account. You should compare checking accounts to make sure you are getting the best deal.
You can earn interest on your cash at many banks. Different savings accounts with different interest rates are offered by these banks. It’s a good idea to know how much you need to deposit and keep in your checking account to earn interest. Fees associated with maintaining your checking account can eat away at your interest earnings and you should research different banks to find the best rate.
Note: You will owe taxes on interest from a checking account.