In today’s economic landscape, having multiple sources of income is more vital than ever. Many people are struggling to make ends meet with just one job, especially in the wake of the pandemic and the resulting economic recession. Fortunately, there are a variety of ways to earn extra money, and they don’t always require a lot of time or money upfront. Whether you’re looking to supplement your current income or start a side hustle that could become your main source of income, there are more options available to you than ever before. In this article, we’ll explore 40 different ways to make money, ranging from traditional methods like bartending and catering to more modern options like influencer marketing and e-commerce. With a little bit of research, hard work, and creativity, you can find a way to bring in additional income that works for you and your lifestyle.
1. Freelance writing
One of the most common forms of side hustles is freelance writing. Many people have writing skills that they could monetize by writing articles, blog posts, or website copy for different clients. Freelance writing can be done from anywhere in the world, making it accessible for people who are already working full-time jobs. Here are some ways you could make money as a freelance writer:
- Writing blog posts for websites
- Ghostwriting books or e-books
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Creating content for marketing campaigns and advertisements
2. Social media management
With the increasing importance of social media for businesses, social media management has become a lucrative opportunity for people looking to make extra money. Social media managers are responsible for creating and managing social media content for businesses, including posting on social media platforms and creating marketing campaigns. Some ways to earn money through social media management include:
- Managing social media accounts for businesses
- Selling social media management services as a package deal
- Creating social media calendars and schedules
- Offering social media advertising services
How do I start freelance writing?
Starting a freelance writing career can be overwhelming but the following steps can help you get started:
- Identify your niche or area of expertise
- Create a portfolio of writing samples
- Set up a profile on freelance websites such as Upwork, Fiverr, or Freelancer
- Start pitching clients and submitting proposals
- Network with other writers and potential clients through LinkedIn and social media
Remember to present yourself professionally, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively with clients. With time and effort, you can build a successful freelance writing career.
3. Graphic design
Graphic design is another popular option for those looking to make money on the side. If you have a talent for design, then this could be an ideal way for you to earn some extra money. Graphic designers create visuals such as logos, websites, advertisements, and marketing materials. Here are some ways to make money as a graphic designer:
- Creating logos, flyers, and other designs for business owners
- Selling design templates on websites like Etsy or Creative Market
- Creating visual content for social media campaigns
- Creating custom designs for websites and blogs
Table: Top Freelance Platforms for Finding Graphic Design Work
|Platform||Active Users||Top Industries|
|Upwork||18 million||IT, design, marketing, writing|
|Fiverr||5.5 million||Design, writing, marketing, video and animation|
|Freelancer||40 million||Design, IT, writing, marketing, accounting|
|Toptal||3 million||Software development, design, project management|
It’s important to note that while these platforms can be useful in finding work, they often take a percentage of your earnings as a commission.
How to Get Clients as a Freelance Graphic Designer
One of the biggest challenges of being a freelance graphic designer is finding and securing clients. Here are some tips to help you get started:
|Networking||Attend events and join online communities to meet potential clients and build relationships.|
|Portfolio||Create a strong portfolio that showcases your skills and design style.|
|Online presence||Have a professional website and social media profiles to showcase your work and make it easier for clients to find you.|
|Referrals||Ask satisfied clients to refer you to their networks and post their reviews on your website and social media profiles.|
|Bidding Websites||Join websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr to bid on freelance projects.|
Remember that building a successful freelance graphic designing business takes time. Be patient, persistent and keep improving your skills and portfolio to attract more clients.
4. Etsy Shop Owner
If you possess a creative bone in your body, consider opening an Etsy shop! Etsy is a global online marketplace for selling handmade, vintage, and unique goods. Some crafty ways to make money using Etsy include:
- Selling handmade craft supplies and materials
- Selling handmade jewelry and accessories
- Selling handmade art, paintings, and sculptures
Table: Top Selling Etsy Categories in 2021
|Jewelry||18 million||Friendship bracelets|
|Home & Living||16 million||Candles|
|Art & Collectibles||9 million||Prints|
|Clothing & Shoes||7 million||T-shirts|
One of the most significant benefits of opening an Etsy shop is the exposure you receive to a global market. You don’t have to worry about manually creating a webpage or attracting traffic. Etsy already has a massive audience of buyers, and with their search feature and social media sharing options, you can easily make sales and grow your brand.
Is it worth it to open a shop on Etsy?
Overall, opening a shop on Etsy can be a worthwhile endeavor for those with unique, handmade items to sell. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential competition and fees, as well as adhere to Etsy’s policies, to make the most out of the platform.
5. Private Tutoring
If you are an expert in a specific subject or field and enjoy teaching, consider becoming a private tutor. With the pandemic driving more students to online learning, private tutoring has become a lucrative way to earn money. Some ways to make money through private tutoring include:
- Offering one-on-one virtual tutoring sessions
- Tutoring students in-person in your community
- Creating and selling tutoring courses through online platforms
List of Online Tutoring Platforms
Some of these platforms allow you to create a profile and set your tutoring rates based on your experience and expertise. They also handle the payment and scheduling logistics, so you can focus solely on tutoring. With the increasing demand for online education, private tutoring is a great way to provide assistance to students while earning extra income.
What Do You Do in Private Tutoring?
Private tutoring involves one-on-one teaching sessions between a student and a tutor. The activities conducted during private tutoring sessions can vary depending on the needs of the student. However, here are some common things that you can expect during private tutoring:
- Reviewing previously learned material
- Clarifying unclear concepts
- Offering personalized explanations tailored to the student’s learning style
- Developing study and organizational skills
- Providing feedback on homework and assignments
- Preparing students for exams and tests
If you’re looking for a private tutor, websites like Wyzant and TutorMe can help you find qualified tutors in your area or online. They offer a wide range of academic subjects and provide a platform to schedule and pay for private tutoring sessions.
6. Dog Walking
Are you an animal lover? Do you enjoy spending time outdoors? If yes, then dog walking could be a great way to make money. Here are some ways to get started:
- Offer to walk dogs in your local community
- Join dog walking services such as Rover or Wag
- Advertise your services on social media or community bulletin boards
List of Dog Walking Services
|Rover||20%||Pass background check and have reliable transportation|
|Wag||40%||Pass a phone interview and have experience with dogs|
|PetSitter.com||N/A||Dependent on the job posting|
Dog walking services like Rover and Wag take a commission for connecting dog walkers with clients, and they require background checks and some experience with dogs. Register with these services to find more clients and earn more money. With busy pet owners needing help taking care of their furry friends, dog walking is a great way to combine your love for dogs with making money.
Should I walk dogs with Wag or Rover?
Both Wag and Rover are popular dog walking services that connect dog owners with trusted walkers. However, there are some differences to consider before choosing between the two:
- Wag is available in more cities, while Rover offers more services, including pet-sitting and boarding.
- Wag allows owners to track their dog’s walk in real-time through the app, while Rover does not offer this feature.
Here is a quick comparison table:
|Availability||Available in more cities||Offers more services|
Ultimately, the decision between Wag and Rover will depend on your location, budget, and specific needs. It’s important to research and compare both services before making a choice.
One great way to make money is through online surveys. You don’t need any special skills to get started and it’s an easy way to earn a bit of extra cash in your spare time. Some websites you can sign up for include Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, Toluna, Vindale Research, and Branded Surveys. These websites offer a variety of surveys that you can complete and earn points or cash. You can redeem these points for gift cards or cash, depending on the website. Some websites also offer rewards for watching videos, playing games, or signing up for offers.
The pros of online surveys include the fact that they are easy to complete, require no special skills, and have flexible hours. Most surveys take 5-20 minutes to complete. Additionally, some websites offer bonuses for completing a certain number of surveys per week or month. However, there are also some cons to be aware of. The pay is typically low, ranging from $0.10 to $5 per survey. You may not qualify for all surveys offered and some websites have a minimum amount you must earn before you can withdraw your earnings. Some websites also have a cap on the number of surveys you can complete per day or week.
As with any online opportunity, it’s important to do your research and choose reputable websites. Online surveys may not provide a full-time income, but they can be a good way to earn a bit of extra cash in your spare time. Remember to only sign up for websites that offer cash or gift card rewards and avoid any that require payment to sign up.
Can you make $100 a day from surveys?
It is unlikely that you can make $100 a day from surveys alone. Most survey websites pay anywhere between $0.25 to $5 per survey, and it can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour to complete each survey. Even if you manage to find high-paying surveys and complete them quickly, it is still challenging to earn $100 a day.
Here are some tips to maximize your earnings on survey websites:
- Sign up for multiple survey websites to increase your earning potential
- Take advantage of referral programs to earn additional income
- Complete surveys consistently and accurately to qualify for higher-paying surveys
- Consider other ways to make money online, such as freelance writing or selling products on an e-commerce platform, to supplement your survey earnings
Overall, paid surveys can be a great way to earn some extra cash in your spare time. However, it is important to set realistic expectations and not rely on survey websites as your primary source of income.
40 Ways to Make Money
If you’re looking for ways to make extra cash, there are plenty of opportunities out there. Here are 40 ideas to get you started:
1. Online Surveys: Companies like Swagbucks and Survey Junkie pay you for your opinions on various topics.
2. Freelance Writing: Offer your writing services on websites like Upwork or Fiverr.
3. Virtual Assistant: Provide administrative services to businesses and entrepreneurs remotely.
4. Social Media Manager: Manage the social media accounts of businesses and individuals.
5. Affiliate Marketing: Promote products or services and earn a commission on sales made through your unique link.
6. Sell Products Online: Use websites like Amazon or Etsy to sell your products.
7. Graphic Design: Create graphics for websites, social media, or businesses.
8. Web Development: Develop websites for businesses and individuals.
9. App Development: Develop mobile apps for businesses or individuals.
10. Online Tutoring: Offer your expertise in a subject to students needing assistance.
11. Photography: Sell your photos to stock photography websites like Shutterstock or iStock.
12. Personal Shopper: Shop for others and earn a commission on purchases made.
13. House Cleaning: Offer cleaning services to individuals or businesses.
14. Lawn Care: Offer lawn care services to homeowners or businesses.
15. Pet Care: Offer pet sitting or dog-walking services.
16. House Sitting: Offer house-sitting services to homeowners.
17. Personal Training: Offer personal training services to individuals.
18. Event Planning: Plan events for individuals or businesses.
19. Music Lessons: Offer music lessons to students.
20. Voice Over Artist: Be a voice over artist for commercials, videos, or movies.
21. Translation: Provide translation services for businesses or individuals.
22. Transcription: Provide transcription services for businesses or individuals.
23. Blogging: Start a blog and monetize it through ads or sponsored content.
24. Podcasting: Start a podcast and monetize it through ads or sponsorships.
25. YouTube: Start a YouTube channel and monetize it through ads or sponsorships.
26. Rent Out Your Space: Rent out a spare room on websites like Airbnb.
27. Rent Out Your Car: Rent out your car on websites like Turo.
28. Rent Out Your Stuff: Rent out items you own on websites like PeerRenters or Zilok.
29. Mystery Shopping: Get paid to shop and provide feedback on your experience.
30. Focus Groups: Participate in focus groups to provide feedback on products or services.
31. Online Coaching: Offer coaching services in a specific area of expertise.
32. Medical Transcription: Provide medical transcription services for healthcare professionals.
33. Customer Service: Offer customer service support for businesses.
34. Data Entry: Provide data entry services for businesses.
35. Delivery: Deliver packages or food for businesses.
36. Handyman Services: Offer handyman services to individuals or businesses.
37. Personal Chef: Offer cooking services to individuals or businesses.
38. Makeup Artist: Offer makeup services to individuals or businesses.
39. Massage Therapist: Offer massage services to individuals or businesses.
40. Rideshare Driver: Drive for companies like Uber or Lyft to earn extra cash.
All of these ideas offer different levels of flexibility, income potential, and time commitment. Choose the ones that work best for your skills, interests, and schedule.
Ridesharing can be a great side hustle for those looking to make some extra cash on a flexible schedule. Here are some pros and cons to consider:
If you’re interested in becoming a rideshare driver, you can find more information and sign up on websites/apps such as Uber, Lyft, and Via.
9. Online Tutoring
Online tutoring is a great way to make money if you have expertise in a specific subject and enjoy teaching. With the rise of virtual learning, there is a high demand for tutors who can provide personalized education to students around the world.
Requirements for Online Tutors
- A bachelor’s degree in the subject or related field
- Teaching experience or certification
- A computer with a stable internet connection
- Webcam and microphone
- Ability to use video conferencing software
Top Online Tutoring Websites
How to Get Started
- Create a profile on one or more online tutoring websites.
- Set your availability and hourly rate.
- Choose the subjects you want to tutor in.
- Take any required tests or interviews to get approved as a tutor.
- Start tutoring students and earning money.
Earnings for Online Tutors
- Online tutors can earn $20-50 per hour, depending on their qualifications and experience.
- Tutoring companies take a commission fee, typically around 20-30% of the tutor’s earnings.
- Some companies offer bonuses for consistently positive feedback from students.
- Online tutoring can lead to long-term clients and repeat business.
Remember to market yourself and present your expertise and qualifications in a professional manner. Positive reviews from satisfied students can also help boost your profile and attract more clients.
How much money can you make online tutoring?
Online tutoring can be a profitable way to earn money from the comfort of your own home. How much you can earn depends on various factors, including:
- Your experience and qualifications
- The subject(s) you tutor
- The level of education you tutor (i.e. high school, college, graduate level)
- The platform you use to find clients (e.g. direct advertising, tutoring websites, social media)
- Your pricing strategy
According to a survey by Indeed, the average hourly rate for online tutors is $25. However, rates can range from $15 to $60 per hour depending on the factors listed above.
Some popular websites to find online tutoring jobs include:
|Tutor.com||Offers flexible hours and pays up to $25 per hour for qualified tutors|
|Wyzant.com||Allows tutors to set their own rates and offers a variety of subjects to teach|
|Chegg.com||Pays tutors $20 per hour and offers opportunities to work with students in a variety of settings|
Of course, the amount you can earn ultimately depends on the effort you put into marketing yourself and the number of clients you can attract. With dedication and a commitment to quality, online tutoring can be a lucrative option for those looking to work remotely in the education field.
Transcriptionists are responsible for taking audio or video recordings and turning them into text documents. This job requires good listening and typing skills, as you will need to accurately and efficiently transcribe the recording.
Requirements for Transcriptionists
- Excellent listening skills and ability to follow directions
- Fast and accurate typing skills
- Ability to use transcription software and foot pedals
- Good knowledge of grammar and punctuation
- Attention to detail
Top Transcription Jobs Websites
How to Get Started
- Create a profile on one or more transcription job websites.
- Complete a transcription test to ensure your skills meet the website’s standards.
- Start taking on transcription jobs.
- Meet deadlines and provide high-quality work to build a positive reputation.
Earnings for Transcriptionists
- Earnings for transcriptionists vary depending on the job and website, but can range from $15 to $60 per audio hour.
- Some transcription websites pay per word or per minute of audio.
- Experienced transcriptionists can earn more money and get access to more high-paying jobs.
Transcription is a good job for individuals who enjoy listening to audio recordings and are comfortable working on a computer for long periods of time. As with any job, it is important to be efficient and meet your deadlines in order to build a positive reputation and earn more money.
What is an audio transcriptionist?
An audio transcriptionist is a professional who transcribes audio files into written documents. This can include transcribing interviews, meetings, podcasts, and other audio recordings.
Transcriptionists must have excellent listening skills, attention to detail, and strong typing skills. They must also be able to accurately transcribe all spoken words, including any background noise or accents.
If you are looking for a reliable transcription service, there are many online options available. Websites like Rev and TranscribeMe offer fast and affordable transcription services with high accuracy rates.
- Rev – https://www.rev.com/
- TranscribeMe – https://www.transcribeme.com/
You are a professional writer that writes engaging, factual and helpful content.
Catering involves providing food and beverage services for events such as weddings, corporate meetings, and other gatherings. This is an excellent way to monetize your cooking skills and love for good food.
Requirements for Caterers
- A passion for cooking and serving good food
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work long hours and under pressure
- Catering permit or food handler’s license (depending on the state)
Top Catering Jobs Websites
How to Get Started
- Create a menu and decide on your services and pricing.
- Create a website or social media page to showcase your menu and services.
- Advertise on job websites or social media to attract customers.
- Get your catering permit or food handler’s license, if required in your state.
- Make sure to promote your business as a high-quality, reliable and cost-effective catering service.
Earnings for Caterers
- There is no set hourly rate for caterers as earnings will vary depending on the event and services provided.
- Starting out, you can charge between $15 and $50 per hour, plus the cost of ingredients and equipment rentals.
- As your business grows, you can earn $100 or more per hour, and possibly much more depending on your reputation and demand for your services.
Catering is a great way to share your love of good food and earn good money at the same time. Make sure to provide high-quality, reliable and cost-effective services to earn good reviews and repeat business.
What catering involves?
Catering involves providing food and beverage services for events or businesses. It includes preparing, cooking, delivering and serving food to clients. Below are some key aspects of catering:
- Catering can be for small or large groups of people
- Caterers may offer a wide range of cuisines and menus
- They may provide services for weddings, corporate events, private parties, and more
- Catering businesses often require advance booking and may have minimum orders
For those looking for catering services, there are numerous websites such as CaterCow and EZCater that allow clients to browse caterers in their area and place orders.
12. Personal Shopping
Personal shopping involves shopping for clothing, accessories, and other items for clients who are either too busy or are not confident in their shopping skills. This is an excellent way to monetize your love for fashion and shopping while making great money.
Requirements for Personal Shoppers
- A passion for fashion and shopping
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of fashion styles and trends
- The ability to work independently
- Reliable transportation
Top Personal Shopping Jobs Websites
- Stitch Fix
- Trunk Club
How to Get Started
- Identify your target market, including age range and personal style.
- Create a website or social media page to showcase your services and pricing.
- Advertise your services on social media and job websites.
- Build up your client base and make sure to deliver personalized, high-quality services.
- Make sure to track all expenses and record keeping for tax purposes.
Earnings for Personal Shoppers
- Standard hourly rates for personal shopping range from $20 to $50 per hour.
- Some personal shoppers may also earn a percentage of the total cost of the items purchased for the client.
- As a personal shopper, you can earn between $1,500 to $5,000 per month, depending on your level of experience, number of clients, and the types of services you offer.
Personal shopping is a great way to offer unique, one-on-one services and help clients achieve their fashion goals while earning good money. Make sure to deliver high-quality personalized services and build strong relationships with your clients to earn repeat business.
How much should you charge as a personal shopper?
As a personal shopper, your pricing will depend on a few variables, such as location, industry, and your experience level. Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind:
- Charge an hourly rate of $25-$100, or a flat fee ranging from $75-$500.
- Some personal shoppers also charge a percentage of the total purchase amount, typically ranging from 10-30%.
- Consider offering package deals such as a certain number of hours for a discounted price.
It is important to research your local market to see what other personal shoppers are charging. Websites such as Thumbtack and Yelp can provide insight into the pricing in your area. Keep in mind that your pricing should reflect the value you bring to your clients.
40 Ways to Make Money
Home cleaning services are always in high demand since everyone wants a clean and tidy home, but not everyone has the time to clean it. This is a great way to earn money if you enjoy cleaning and organizing and want to be your boss.
Requirements for Home Cleaning Services
- A keen attention to detail
- Tolerance for repetitive tasks
- A strong work ethic and high-quality standards
- Insurance and certification if necessary
Top Home Cleaning Services Websites
How to Get Started
- Create a website or social media page to showcase your services and pricing.
- Advertise your services on social media, classified ads, and paid advertising.
- Offer a free consultation to potential clients and provide a written agreement that outlines the services you will provide, the fees, and expectations.
- Make sure to invest in high-quality cleaning products, equipment, and supplies.
- Record all expenses and maintain appropriate insurance and certifications as needed.
Earnings for Home Cleaning Services
- Home cleaning services typically charge by the hour, with rates ranging between $25 to $60 an hour, depending on the level of services provided and your location.
- Some home cleaning services may also charge a flat fee for a once-a-month deep cleaning or for a spring-cleaning service.
- As a home cleaning service provider, you can expect to earn between $1,000 and $3,000 per month, depending on your level of experience, the number of clients you serve, and the range of services provided.
Home cleaning services are a great way to help others while earning good money. Make sure to provide high-quality services and build strong relationships with your clients to earn repeat business and referrals.
There are countless ways to make extra money in today’s world, and the internet has made it easier than ever to find work that fits your skills and interests. Whether you’re looking to earn a little extra cash or start a full-time business venture, there’s something out there for everyone.
With a little creativity, willingness to learn, and hard work, you can turn your skills and passions into a profitable side hustle or even a full-time career. Remember to do your research, choose opportunities that are a good fit for your skillset, and always strive to provide high-quality services.
Additionally, don’t forget that making money is not the only important thing in life. Make sure to prioritize your mental and physical health, your family, and your friends. Earning extra income is great, but it should never come at the expense of your well-being or your relationships.
Ultimately, the most rewarding jobs are often those that allow you to make a real difference in the lives of others. So, if you’re considering a new side hustle or business venture, be sure to choose an opportunity that resonates with your values and brings you joy, fulfillment, and satisfaction. Good luck!