Hi everyone! Hope you have had a wonderful week! There have been some exciting updates on the immigration situation this past week, some of which you may have seen if you follow us on twitter (if you don’t go follow us now!). You should also check out our new website – AtlasDIY.org and sign up for our free email newsletter, where we share the latest immigration news, stories, our blog posts, and upcoming events. Anyways, enough tooting our own horn – here are the top immigration stories from the past week:
- USCIS changes some language on its Deferred Action policy, making it ABSOLUTELY clear that DACA recipients must be allowed driver’s licenses on a state level. Up until now, DREAMers in conservative states (Arizona, North Carolina, etc.) were being denied the right to drive. If you live in one of these states, congratulations!
- Dispite this, politicians such as NC Governor Dan Forest have publically critisized this decision and hinted they will not obey it. State actions which counter national regulations are, of course, illegal
- Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver earns our BAMF of the Day award by proposing a NY version of the DREAM Act which would allow undocumented youth to receive state funded financial aid.
- The Huffington Post‘s brilliant article on why our current immigration policy is killing entrepreneurship.
- The story of 18 year-old Robert Lean, who graduated from Richland High School with a 3.9 average and a passion for physics but cannot pursue further education or get a job because of his status.
- President Obama announced plans to push Congress to move on an immigration reform overhaul within the next few months.
We will continue to post the top stories as they develop; again, in order to stay in the loop with our blog posts (as well as the latest immigration news and upcoming events), head over to www.AtlasDIY.org and sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page. And please like/share this post (it takes .335 seconds to like/share and tweet this post and it really helps us! Thanks!)